Ariel At Home

11 March 2011 | Turks and Caicos
25 February 2011 | Southside Marina, Turks and Caicos
24 February 2011 | Southside Marina, Turks and Caicos
24 February 2011 | Southside Marina, Turks and Caicos
23 February 2011 | Turks and Caicos
22 February 2011 | Turks and Caicos
21 February 2011 | Horse Pond Bay, Mayaguana
21 February 2011 | Horse Shoe Pond, Mayaguana
19 February 2011 | Horse Shoe Pond, Mayaguana
16 February 2011 | Sumner Marina, Rum Cay
12 February 2011 | Port Nelson, Rum Cay
11 February 2011 | Hawke’s Nest Marina, Cat Island
10 February 2011 | Half Moon Bay (Little San Salvador)
09 February 2011 | Rock Sound Eleuthera
08 February 2011 | Alice Town in Hatchet Bay
07 February 2011 | Royal Island Eleuthera
06 February 2011 | Royal Island Eleuthera
05 February 2011 | Leaving Grand Bahama Yacht Club
04 February 2011 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club
04 February 2011 | Grand Bahama Yacht Club

The Sail to Alice Town, Hatchet Bay

08 February 2011 | Alice Town in Hatchet Bay
Deborah
Feb 8, 2011 Tuesday
A rain squall greeted our early morning. At 6:30 AM the batteries were monitored at 71%. The weather predictions proved correct as the boat received winds from the NW. There were 316.3 hours showing on the engine. The odometer read 509. The clock read 7:25 AM and the anchor returned to the cradle on the starboard side of the bowsprit. The course was set and we motored to Fleming Channel. We elected to avoid the challenge of Current Cut which would have meant a delayed departure to time tides to cross the area safely. After having traversed Fleming Channel, the SV Ariel headed directly to Alice Town in Hatchet Bay. Since the iron horse was providing the power for this leg of the trip, we turned on the inverter and engaged in the ice making business. "Ridiculous," you say and you may be correct but how else can we be assured of ice for our cocktails with the little umbrellas when at anchorage? The little clung of ice cubes was music to my ears.
At 10;30 AM, the genoa rose on the front of the boat and we assumed our role as a sailboat.. The sail was filled with 10 knots of wind from the North. Ariel cut the water at 5 knots. The crew was content. The addition of the mainsail, hoisted by Deb the Deckflop, added an extra knot. A respectful 6 knots under sail made my heart sing! The quiet trip through the Banks of Eleuthera ended at 1:30PM when the winds died and engine was called into service. An hour later Ed leaned over the lifelines at the bow of the boat practicing his western rope tricks and passed a line through the loop of a mooring ball while I drove the boat. We made a perfect team as success was ours first attempt. We were ready to head to shore.
The entrance into Hatchet Bay remained a mystery until a boater was almost bow to rock wall. From three years previously, we recalled the narrow opening that allowed for the service of a fast ferry from Nassau, so there was definitely room for Ariel. The chart plotter was one of the greatest assets for navigation, especially in a situation like the entrance to Hatchet Bay. Alice Town is located on the southeastern shore. We hitched a dinghy ride into the dock with the crew of Pelican Rose. The town is quaint, small with a number of churches, a grocery store, a couple of bars and a majestic view. As respectful guests, we pondered how people could survive in the bleak conditions. Once again we were reminded that we are blessed!
Boater's midnight beckoned and we heeded the call. The day offered a sail, a visit to a familiar community, laughter with friends and a magnificent sunset.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ariel At Home
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana/Cutter
Hailing Port: Picton, Ontario
Crew: Ed Close/Deb Arnold

On The Waves

Who: Ed Close/Deb Arnold
Port: Picton, Ontario