Arkaydes

14 May 2014 | Tipplers Resort, Sth Stradbroke Island
17 November 2013
03 November 2013 | Whitsusndays
26 August 2013 | Hinchinbrook to Whitsundays
04 August 2013 | Orpheus Island
27 July 2013 | Horseshoe Bay Magnetic Island
24 July 2013 | Enroute to Magnetic Island
13 July 2013 | Double Bay East
06 July 2013 | Stonehaven Beach
17 June 2013 | Stonehaven, The Whitsundays
11 June 2013 | Airlie Beach
06 June 2013 | Cid Harbour Whitsundays
24 May 2013 | Rosslyn Bay
20 May 2013 | Pancake Creek
17 May 2013 | Bundaberg
15 May 2013 | Garry's Anchorage, Great Sandy Straits
13 May 2013 | Maloolaba
13 May 2013 | Tangalooma Moreton Bay
05 May 2013 | Canaipa Passage
03 May 2013 | Tippler's Passage

False Start

13 May 2013 | Maloolaba
Val and Rick
Being thoroughly sick of Maloolaba and it's weather, disregard earlier photo, we crossed the bar at a bit after midnight on a very dark, moonless, wet night enroute to Wide Bay bar which we intended to cross around 0930 hours.

After making our eastings to clear the shoals off Maloolaba we headed north motoring at 7 knots. Visibility was abysmal and Rick relied on the radar to navigate through the numerous anchored ships and fishing vessels. Two hours into the trip the port motor started labouring and shaking, we suspected a problem with the sail drive. Continuing under 1 motor to cross Wide Bay bar was not an option especially as the boat may have needed to come out of the water for repairs, so we decided to return to our beloved Maloolaba.

It became apparent that we were dragging something as our boat speed was down to 2 knots and the helm needed to be at almost full lock to steer a straight course. After thinking about it, we decided dragging our new found appendage across the bar at Maloolaba was once again not an option! We shut down the remaining engine and drifted for a few hours until there was enough light for Rick to go for a swim in 114 foot of renowned shark infested water. To our great relief the fish trap/net/whale had removed itself. Both engines were restarted and we crossed the Maloolaba bar at 0815hrs, exactly 8 hours after we had started. Rick was as sick as a dog and Val and Tiger contemplating mutiny. Maloolaba Coast Guard, having been informed of our situation, quipped on our arrival "where did you leave your garbage or did you bring it with you".

We are currently anchored off the Wharf Marina and have spent most of the day catching up on sleep. Return bout tomorrow in daylight which will entail anchoring in the lee of Double Island Point, which is what we were trying to avoid as it is known as the worst open roadstead on the East Coast. We will cross Wide Bay bar on Wednesday on the 1100 hrs tide.
Comments
Vessel Name: Arkaydes
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Pittwater, New South Wales
Crew: Rick, Val and Tiger
About: Tiger has as many legs as Rick and Val combined but will not help sail the boat, he won't even stand the dog watch! He refuses point blank to help out with the Cat!

Who: Rick, Val and Tiger
Port: Pittwater, New South Wales