Cruising Ashika

Two crazy cocker spaniels dragging their two humans around the Pacific looking for dolphin on a 1976 Fuji 45 ketch.

19 July 2014 | Guaymas, Mexico
14 July 2014 | Guaymas, Mexico
10 July 2014 | Topolabambo
30 June 2014 | Mazatlan
27 June 2014 | Mazatlan
20 June 2014 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
31 May 2014 | Barra de Navidad
20 May 2014 | Barra de Navidad
16 May 2014 | Zihuatinejo
15 May 2014 | Alcapulco Mexico
29 April 2014 | Tehuantepec
28 April 2014 | Amapal to Chiapas
14 April 2014 | Nicaragua
11 April 2014 | Corinto, Nicaragua
01 April 2014 | Costa Rica
31 March 2014 | Bahia Ballena, Costa Rica
31 March 2014 | Ballena, Nicoya Penninsula, Costa Rica
18 March 2014 | Quepos, Costa Rica
14 March 2014 | Golfito, Costa Rica

Hal Hath Gone Insane

28 April 2014 | Amapal to Chiapas
Lauri / Sunny, humid and cool.
I awoke again, the roll of the anchorage had allowed me to fall asleep for a brief time before another large set of waves would roll me against the bulk head waking me up for the umpteenth time. I had had enough. I climbed over Dois without waking him up, which is a testament to how tired he must have been. I turned on the red overhead light and checked the time, 4:10 AM. We had agreed to stay here in Amapala one more day, awaiting the best possible weather window. The bay is in Honduras and we were not checked in, so there was no going ashore to get even a small reprieve from the incessant roll. I sat down on the settee facing Dois wondering if he would sleep through the next violent roll. I didn't have to wait long. He opened his eyes and I said "let's go". He said "I'll get the anchor, you start the engine". Apparently he was rolled enough too.

This was not the best way to start a voyage. We were tired, but we thought that we would be able to catch up on our sleep taking turns on watch and it couldn't be worse than Amapala. The waves that had been rolling us around the anchorage were bigger outside the bay and there was a mean cross swell as well. Throw in a 20 to 30 knot breeze on our port bow and we had ourselves a party. Unfortunately, Hal, our unfaithful auto-pilot didn't want to come to our little party and every time we tuned him on, he would do something devious like turn us around, heading back the way we came.

Hal seems to have lost his mind. He would click off constantly, with no warning or alarm. His decisions to run the boat around in circles or make a
90 degree turn without disengaging were terror filled rides, especially in the dark with the boat bashing in the waves from one side rail to the other. I think Walt Disney must have had plenty of boat rides in bad weather and fashioned Mr. Toad's Wild Ride from his experiences. In the worst conditions, he just refused to play at all, leaving us (mostly Dois) to hand steer the rest of the way to Mexico.

I baked a lot on this passage; a meatloaf, a struesel banana cake and 2 loaves of bread. The hardest part is dealing with a wildly swinging hot stove while trying to hang on to anything else. Sometimes I cook on these passages and sometimes don't. Dois is such a good sport and eats most everything I dish out.

Sitting in the cockpit at 3 AM, even in my tired condition, I am in awe of the enormous beauty all around me. Ashika's motion has settled down as she moves us through another rough spot and the seas look promising. The water being pushed aside by the boat's well designed hull glows in the green nav light and the water splashing and gurgling against us is a happy sound. The moonlit ocean sparkles all the way out to the horizon. I have anticipation that dolphin may visit during my watch. I can't help noticing the incredible night sky with more stars than I ever thought possible. I can clearly see both dippers and wish I knew other constellations. Ginger is with me, tucked in beside me, snoring soundly finally. She exhausts herself on each voyage hunting dolphin, greeting them with ecstatic joy, as if they are her long lost friends come to visit again.

We have a stout and capable boat with amenities that even new boats don't always have and I allow myself a moment to gloat. Hal is playing nice again, still, must keep an eye on him. The warm air has cooled and I have a hot cup of tea and a thick slice of bread with a generous smear of butter. Exhausted, yes, but content in our choices.

These photos are a few left in my camera from Corinto. Enjoy

steven



girls



look at the muscles on grampa



octopi



Someday



outboard on bike


Pieceful
Comments
Vessel Name: Ashika
Vessel Make/Model: Fuji 45, designed by John G. Alden and built by Fuji Yacht Works in Japan.
Hailing Port: San Pedro, Calif.
Crew: sv Ashika with Dois, Lauri, Ginger and Daisy
About: Dois is the Captain of our vessel. He came to Ashika with over 40 years of boating experience. Lauri is our Admiral and believes that in time, the Captain will acknowledge her title. In the meantime, she tries to accomplish what the Captain needs to keep the crew and Captain safe.
Extra:
Ginger and Daisy are the ship's Dogs. Daisy is 17 years old. Deaf and mostly blind, she approaches sailing like she does life; with grace and poise. She used to be our fishing manager and would spend the entire day "watching" the lines. We have had to promote her to "manager of dog treats" because [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/ashika

sv ASHIKA

Who: sv Ashika with Dois, Lauri, Ginger and Daisy
Port: San Pedro, Calif.