14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Second Publication, Perhaps I Could Be a Professional Writer

06 November 2007 | Town Creek anchorage, Beaufort, NC
Doug Mayle
CURRENT LOCATION: Town Creek anchorage, Beaufort, NC
34 43.591' N, 076 39.987' W

First news first: We are staying put in Beaufort for another day. This morning's chart talk went very well, and we were primed and ready to shove off; however, weather chat yielded less satisfactory results. A cold front is coming through and is going to provide north winds for our ocean sail; however, it looks like that front is both delayed and a bit stronger than initially forecast. Therefore, we plan to wait for the front to pass, then ride out of here on the more benign northerlys which should follow in its wake. Here aboard Prudence, we take our boat's moniker as a way of life.

On another note, I just found out that I have scored another article in publication. This time, it is in Living Aboard magazine, a small but national publication. The funny thing is that I did not know that I had made it to publication until somebody we met at the Southbound Cruisers' Rendezvous sent us an e-mail indicating that they had read both of my articles. I contacted the editor, and the check is in the mail (of course, it has been sent to our old marina address). Regardless, I am overjoyed at the prospect that this writing thing could really take off. Now all we have to do is get in to land in order to buy a copy of the magazine.

Sheryl volunteered. After the morning winds subsided in our anchorage, we inflated one kayak and Sheryl paddled off into the sunset with a bag of trash strapped to the front. Due to the relatively crowded anchorage here at Town Creek and changing winds (due to the arrival of the cold front), I opted to stay behind (and enjoy a sundowner just a few hours early). Actually, it was the first time in over six days that we had been more than 35 feet apart and I missed her while she was gone.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Of course, she returned before sunset, mission accomplished. We are lighter one bag of trash, and heavier two copies of the November/December 2007 issue of Living Aboard. If you get a copy, check out our photo and bio on page 4, and the article, Goin' Out on page 35...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Well, dear Reader, stay tuned. As you can tell by the lead photo for this blog entry (note my selection of breakfast attire this morning), this Author and Co-captain of the sailing vessel Prudence is ready for some offshore work. And, dear Reader, please don't worry if we don't post for a while. Our next access to the internet (and every one after that) is an unknown. It could be days, it could be weeks. Rest assured that in the meantime we will be prudent and safe, we will write it all down, and we will post when we are able.


TIP for our regular READERS: If you plan to follow our journey, and you wonder, "Where in the world is Prudence?" just copy the line of coordinates under our CURRENT LOCATION description (ie. 34 56.850' N, 076 33.655' W) and paste them into the Search the map box on the Google Maps website. Better still, install Google Earth and paste it into the Fly to box. The animation alone is worth the effort.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]