14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Preparations for Crossing the Gulf Stream

28 November 2007 | Southpoint Anchorage, Stuart, FL
CURRENT LOCATION: Southpoint Anchorage, a mooring field in Stuart, FL
27 11.827' N, 080 15.652' W (CLICK HERE for Google Maps)

We have enjoyed our downtime here in Stuart, FL. From long, relaxing days filled with nothing but sunshine and Bahamian chart talk to visiting with Sheryl's aunt, Joyce (marking the first time we have been in a car in over three weeks). The last week has been a chronological conundrum, which seemed to both go by very quickly and to have lasted a considerable period. Such is the ambiguous nature of time to the 'retired,' I suppose.

Recently, the idea of crossing the Gulf Stream began to crystallize in our minds. It looks like a suitable window may be upon us sometime over the next few days. In preparation, we need to (once again) do the fuel and water drill, check the weather, wash some laundry, check the weather, run a last few errands here in the US, check the weather, and deflate and stow the dinghy. Perhaps, then, we will check the weather once again.

Our priorities are currently focused on getting safely across the Gulf Stream, navigating the waters of the Little Bahama Bank, and clearing in to Bahamian Custom and Immigrations (either in Spanish Cay or Green Turtle Cay). Not until those things are well behind us will we be looking for an internet connection to update you, dear Reader. So, please bear with us as the availability of this miracle we call The Internet is most certain to be questionable from this point forward, and I can only warn that days or weeks may go by before we can post the tales of our journeys.

Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]