14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Boat Chores, Bahamian Style

05 December 2007 | White Sound Anchorage, Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
CURRENT LOCATION: White Sound anchorage, Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Northwestern Bahamas
26 46.689' N, 077 20.163' W (CLICK HERE for Google Maps), or try to 'Copy > Paste' the numbers into Google Earth

After a relaxed start to the day, we decided to tackle a few boat chores. Namely, refueling and changing oil. Both are a requirement, considering the number of engine hours we have put on in recent passages. Diesel prices here are not too bad, considering where we are ($4.70 per gallon). But still, we are hopeful that we can go back to covering most of our distance under sail. It is much more friendly to our kitty.

Changing oil is always a dirty chore; however, this time I have a great way to get cleaned up afterward: Jump into the water! After rinsing off all the grime, I took Sheryl's camera to capture a few underwater images. There was a starfish directly below Prudence, which you can see in the lead photo. I also snapped an image of our anchor (since I dive to check it out each time we swing). Not the best set into the sand, but it has held us through up to 20 knots...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

While drying off on deck in the sun with a Kalik in hand (yes, that is the way one is rewarded for doing the dirty work here in the Bahamas), I was thumbing through the cruising guide and started itching to go exploring. I asked Sheryl what she thought about picking up anchor tomorrow morning, and she agreed.

So, that spurred another set of chores. I dried and deflated the kayak, while Sheryl took Patience to New Plymouth to dispose of trash and our used motor oil. It was a rough ride for her as west winds were blowing across the Sea of Abaco. Upon her return, we hauled, dried and disassembled the dinghy. All was stowed by sundown.

Tomorrow morning, we will do a weather check and wait for winds to settle a bit before heading out. Where we will wind up is anybody's guess, so stay tuned Dear Reader. As soon as we get a new internet connection, you will be the first to know.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]