14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

The Winds Finally Abate, At Least for Now

06 January 2008 | George Town, Exumas, Bahamas
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored near Moss Cays, about midway between George Town on Great Exuma Island and Stocking Island, Exumas, Bahamas
23 30.546' N, 075 45.529' W (CLICK HERE for Google Maps)

A mask and snorkel would have been useful gear on our dinghy ride back from the market yesterday morning. Coming out of the calm Lake Victoria, we charged through a narrow opening into the harbor. With east winds building up waves across the mile-wide harbor, the bow of Patience was tossed high into the air and came back down onto the next large wave with a SPLAAASHH! A wall of water rained upon us and our groceries. After repeating this water-based bronco ride several times, we were soaked. Once we were clear of these breakers, the ride was only slightly less soggy.

We returned to Prudence with us and all of our groceries totally soaked. Thanks to the rigors of modern produce packaging, we lost very little as a result of the washing in salt water (just a little sugar was sacrificed due to water making it around the edges of the bag). Undaunted by the rather bumpy ride, we set out again in the afternoon to go exploring on Stocking Island.

We landed at 'Volleyball Beach,' walked a trail to the sound side of the island, and strolled the length of that beach. We hiked up to the monument overlooking 'Hamburger Beach' and meandered past the Peace & Plenty Beach Club. Once we returned to Volleyball Beach we got a drink at the Chat & Chill, then went our separate ways. Sheryl conferred with the basket-weaving ladies on some of the finer points of her newly acquired hobby, while I sat with my beer and watched the volleyball games. Soon Sheryl joined me and we chatted for a while with Tom & Amy, from Dream Catcher, before retreating to the boat with the sun racing us toward the horizon.

We awoke today to lighter winds and calmer seas, so we took advantage of the opportunity to make a few trips to town to top off our supply of water and diesel here aboard Prudence. I am happy to report that we used only about 10 gallons of diesel getting from Green Turtle Cay, in the Abacos, to our current location of Georgetown, in the Exumas (a distance of a little over 300 nautical miles). We have enjoyed a lot of good sailing conditions between there and here.

With all tanks topped off, we did some cleaning aboard the boat, then settled in to enjoy a peaceful afternoon afloat. Evening is going to bring dinner guests from Dream Catcher, so I should go and prepare for their arrival. I will be baking garlic breadsticks to go with our pasta dinner. My mouth is already watering at just the thought of it, dear Reader. Wish you were here to enjoy them with us.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]