14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

A Weekend on the Mainland

15 June 2008 | R�o Grande, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Prudence remains in Ensenada Honda while we take a trip to the big island

An invite from friends Jesse & Nydia found us boarding the 6:30AM ferry to Fajardo on Saturday morning. We planned to join them at a beach party in Luquillo and spend the night at Jesse's house in R�o Grande.

We took great care to batten down all the hatches and triple check the electrical panel before locking the companionway. This is the first time in over a year that Prudence will be spending the night alone.

Our gracious hosts were there to meet us at ferry terminal at the very early hour of 8:00AM. They were also accommodating enough to allow us a quick shopping run though Walmart (as we cannot come over to Fajardo without knocking off at least a few items from on our 'need from the big island' list). As usual, a good supply of cheap rum being the primary item on that list.

We had the chance to see Jesse's home and enjoy a late breakfast before heading to the beach. The occasion was a birthday party for Castillito (pictured below, surrounded by his grandchildren):

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Sheryl immediately gravitated to one particular party guest, Princess. This 8-week old shih tzu puppy grabbed her attention and simply would not let go. Echos of Sheryl's own shih tzu, Bear, sounded through her heart.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Upon arrival, I was concerned about the language barrier. Initially, I feared that no one at the party would be fluent in English, and Sheryl & I have zero Spanish speaking skills. I worried that Jesse & Nydia would have to translate everything for us. Fortunately, though, the guest of honor, Castillito, spoke very good English and took us under his wing. In addition, he kept trying to nurture us through some Spanish throughout the day. As the day progressed, other party attendees arrived who were also quite fluent in English. My fears quickly abated, but they were replaced by a nagging guilt. We have been in Spanish speaking countries (the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico) for five months now, and we really should know more of their language. If I had been more diligent about pursuing my own Spanish studies, I might have been prepared to practice today with these very kind folks. Unfortunately, my laziness relative to the discipline of self-study has caused me to waste this wonderful opportunity. I have no excuses to present. I have the time, I have the materials, I just haven't put forth the effort.

Although it wasn't prime beach weather, a tropical wave brought clouds and scattered rain showers, the occasional dampness seemed only to heighten the liveliness of the party. Although we were outsiders, these people welcomed us into their family gathering and everyone had a grand time. Fun is certainly a contagious commodity, and laughter is the universal language. I was sad to see the tables being folded down as the party drew to a close.

Back at Jesse's place we enjoyed the luxury of a real shower before heading out on the town. The early start to the day kept our activities somewhat subdued (a flea market and a late night bite). Food was certainly not a major focus, because we had all been very well fed at the party.

We woke to a casual Sunday where we got to spend some quality time with Nydia & Jesse before having to be transported back to the ferry terminal. We said our goodbyes and encouraged that the next time we get together it is their turn to come out to Culebra again.

After a little over an hour on the ferry, we arrived back home. Our pace through town was brisk and although nothing was said we both had the same thing on our minds: 'Let's get through town and check to see that Prudence is O.K.' We arrived at the top of the hill leading down to the municipal dock and she came into view, proudly perched out on the water. Our home was right where we left her. That sight always elicits a sigh of relief.

It was wonderful to take a brief vacation to the big island, but it is good to be home. We truly love living on our sailboat and I suppose that a simple night away helps to impress upon us just how good our life is. These thoughts and the rocking motion of the boat lulled me into a deep and very sound sleep.





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]