14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Land-based Scouting Mission

30 December 2008 | Grand Case, St. Martin
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Baie de Grand Case between the town dock and Rocher Créole
18 06.408' N, 063 03.346' W

After two days of cloudy skies and rain showers (yes, even Paradise sometimes has its break from sunny skies and perfect weather), the golden orb reappeared this morning. As a result, we had to get out there and do something. With a hill looming at over 600 feet right off our bow, what do you think we were inclined to do? That is right. We were going for a hike.

The second attempt to secure the dinghy to the town dock went a little better. We dropped a danforth anchor as we approached, and it stuck to the bottom like glue. After tying up to the ring mounted in the concrete dock and locking our cable (to ensure that the dinghy would still be here upon our return), we made some fine adjustment to the length of the stern anchor line - running out to that danforth - such that even the big dingy bouncing on the swell next to us could not push Patience beneath the dock.

We spent a few moments assuring ourselves of the secure nature of our dinghy mooring while we pulled on socks and laced up our sneakers. We keep relatively few options for footwear aboard Prudence, but both being former runners, we have retained our most recent pair of running shoes. When the occasion comes for a long-distance hike, this footgear seems to fit the bill.

Our efforts to get up on high, here in Grand Case, met with limited success. We got a nice view of the anchorage (see the lead photo), but did not make it anywhere near the peak of the adjacent hill. There was simply no road or trail heading up to where we could see only goats traveling. Instead, we decided to hike through the valley and do some advance scouting for future anchoring destinations around the island.

You see, we have not done laundry or taken on water since Culebra. Both are chores which are imminent in the course of the next several weeks. Around the next point, in Anse Marcel, our information suggested a marina (recently renovated by Radisson) where we might be able to take care of both needs.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

After a long walk along a narrow and busy road, we finally approached the water again. Once we got to a rise to get a view, I immediately realized that we had not yet made it to Anse Marcel. The contours were all wrong. We were looking over the extreme northwest end of Orient Bay. I could immediately recognize Ilet Pinel and Tintamarre, both future potential anchorages. We turned to our left and watched the road wind up into the hills. This was the road to Anse Marcel. Despite the fact that we had a long climb up Pigeon Pea Hill, we had established a goal: find out about water and laundry services available at the Radisson. We hiked upward as our legs began to, once again, take on a heavy-as-cement feeling.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Eventually, we made it to the rise, and below the contours matched my expectations. We descended into a mega-resort complex. Several hotels, a marina, restaurants, shops, an expansive pool, and a pristine beach occupy this protected cove in the hills on the northwest corner of St. Martin. Our journey served its utility when we inquired at the marina to find that we could jerry-jug water out to the nearby anchorage at very reasonable rate of 7 cents per gallon, and laundry was available at a slightly less reasonable 5 Euros per load.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

A walk around the complex suggested that this may be a place we could happily anchor for a few days. The anchorage was within swimming distance of the beach, and a short walk off the beach was a huge pool, with infinity features and a winding path that makes a lazy day at the pool a meandering adventure. No security at the pool gate, and no obvious wrist bands to identify hotel guests. It is possible that we might be able to hang out in this Shangri-La from the perch of our modest sailboat.

Before departing, we checked out the shops available in this isolated resort cove. In the midst of the ubiquitous useless tourist tripe, there was a small convenience store. In it there was everything from instant mashed potatoes to pâté. Not a true grocery store, but it would do in an emergency. We purchased a soda and a beer and sat out in the sun to think about our return trip to Grand Case.

Unfortunately, the limited bus system on St. Martin does not come down into this cove, so we had two choices: walk or taxi. Although we are never shy about a long walk, the trip here had been especially harrowing on the more narrow portions of the road. I am still amazed that both of my shoulders are in tact and have not been shattered by the passing side-view mirror of some big truck.

With the gruesome image of shattered bone in our minds, we opted for a taxi ride back to Grand Case. $15 to save life and limb, not a bad exchange. And the hotel concierge was more than happy to arrange this extravagance for us.

Once back in town, we purchased a few food items and a bag of ice. Tonight we would be having company aboard. Laurie & Dawn, from Cat Tales and their friends, Derek & Betsy from Lorien joined us for sundowners and conversation. It was a good way to end a busy day in Paradise.

IMAGE NOT FOUND





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]