14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Boarded by the French Coast Guard

10 January 2009 | Îlet Pinel, St. Martin
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored between Ilet Pinel and Petite Clef
18 06.258' N, 063 00.992' W

One thing about this lifestyle bothers me on a level different from any of the other sacrifices we make. Being constantly subjected to the whims of the weather, challenging anchoring conditions, close quarters aboard, limited power and fresh water, getting to land in a reasonably dry condition, and transportation once on land are all issues that diminish the idyllic conditions of our surroundings. Nothing, though, aggravates me in the way that being boarded by officials does.

This boat is our home and we were sitting at home this morning, enjoying our coffee, when a boat pulls up along side. They tie off, and three officials enter our home. Although reasonably courteous, they require boat documentation and passports. Then they go below and search anything they wish, including the contents of Sheryl's purse without so much as a word or request. Under no other circumstances, either in a house, an apartment, or driving in a car, have I been subject to such an invasion of privacy. I believe (although I am not a lawyer) that if some official forced his way into your home or even your car and conducted a search without probable cause, you would have grounds for legal recourse. Here on the water we seem to give up those basic rights to privacy.

There is a parallel to other forms of travel and one can make the comparison to what you must go through with airport security and customs & immigration. With that in mind, I can understand and wholly support a boarding which takes place upon entering a country. Much like subjecting your luggage to search, only our luggage happens to be 35-feet long. However, once you have entered another country would you expect officials to randomly enter your hotel room, unannounced, and search through your luggage? It hasn't happened to me in the countries which I have traveled to.

And, it is not just in foreign countries. We have experienced similar spontaneous boardings by the US Coast Guard in Puerto Rico and the Department of Natural Resources in North Carolina. In each case, you must (without warning and without cause) open your home to be searched by these officials. You are presumed guilty of all items on their checklist until proven innocent. Although I am no activist, and will not pursue the issue beyond this brief rant in my blog, it is something you should be aware of if you are considering this lifestyle.

Bottom line: since all of our paperwork was in order and we carry no contraband, the visit by the officials was over relatively quickly. We were able to return to our coffee before it had much of a chance to get cold.





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]