14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

A Leaky Dinghy

25 January 2009 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Mosquito Cove, just outside Jolly Harbour in Antigua
17 04.579' N, 061 53.613' W

Sometimes, in this rather unstructured existence of ours, we set a single goal for the day and let the rest of the hours of the day take care of themselves. My goal today is to fix a leak in our dinghy.

When Sheryl checked in the other day, she returned to find quite a bit of water in the dinghy. Water often gets into our small dinghy when splashing through waves; however, conditions here are fairly calm. How curious. We pumped the water out and found it filling again several hours later. Ah, we had a leak.

This leak is not a big deal, at least not as big as an air leak in an inflatable, as the buoyancy of the tubes will keep the dinghy and engine afloat. But it is something we need to address, because carrying around any extra water weight will slow Patience even more.

The leak has been caused by the floorboards chafing on the bottom of the dinghy. Two of the boards have 'legs' and these have worn four spots in the bottom of the dinghy. One of these four spots has worn through and has started leaking.

I spent my day decommissioning and deflating the dinghy, cleaning it, and applying four patches to the worn spots.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE NOT FOUND

The deflated dinghy remains on deck, adhesive curing in the tropical sun. Tomorrow I plan to reassemble with four thick pieces of rubber at each of the floorboard contact points in hopes of preventing new chafe and spreading the pressure caused by the floorboard legs. I cut the rubber pieces from an old floormat I had aboard to keep things from sliding around in the cockpit locker.

I suppose that I can make the reassembly, launch, and recommission of the dinghy my goal for the day tomorrow. One day at a time, we enjoy life here afloat in the Caribbean.





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]