14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Another Week Parades By in Jolly Harbour

15 March 2009 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Mosquito Cove, just outside the entrance to Jolly Harbour, Antigua
17 04.505' N, 061 53.541' W

Behind our boat is the marked channel leading into Jolly Harbour. Every day is like a parade of boats. Even if we are down below, we often pop our heads up like a gopher from its hole to see what type of vessel is motoring along this highway of water.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The other day Sheryl was playing gopher when I quickly saw her dash the rest of the way out into the cockpit. She was waving and yelling at a passing boat even before I realized who it was. Good friends of ours, Kenny and Kathy on s/v Mer Soleil were headed in to check-in to Antigua.

We first met Kenny and Kathy in Manzanillo Bay in the Dominican Republic. We had both just completed an extremely rough crossing from the Turks and Caicos, only to arrive in a very different sort of country. Adversity is often an ingredient for forming strong bonds, and we developed our friendship while spending time together in Luperon. Our paths crossed again last year, briefly, in Culebra. Earlier this year, we overlapped by just a day in St. Martin. Neither occasion gave us more than a few minutes of time to chat. Our meeting here in Jolly Harbour was to be the first time we would have the opportunity to spend a little time with them and get caught up on all of their adventures and future plans.

Jolly Harbour is a small place, and we saw them in 'town' the next day. We were doing computer stuff and they were taking care of laundry and renting a golf cart. We had a chance to meet their daughter, Natalie, who is staying aboard with them for a month.

The other night we had the opportunity to enjoy a lovely dinner on Mer Soleil. They are tied up at the marina and the conditions were perfect for an evening repast. Cool air, calm water, good friends, good food, and good conversation.

They will be pushing on south soon, as Natalie has to be in St. Lucia to catch a flight at the end of the month. I wonder what other friends from our past the 'parade of boats' might bring us next?





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]