14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

More Chores Are Checked Off the List

13 April 2009 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Mosquito Cove, just outside the entrance to Jolly Harbour, Antigua
17 04.505' N, 061 53.541' W

When it comes to electronics or mechanical items, I generally take the lead. However, if line is involved, the issue falls beneath Sheryl's bailiwick. Our mainsail halyard was beginning to look a little worn in places. It was one of the lines we did not replace before leaving North Carolina, although we did purchase a spare. Today's inspection of that line made us decide to replace it with the new 130-foot length of rope.

Step 1 of replacing a halyard is to attach the new halyard to the end of the old one in such a way that it can be pulled up and into the mast, through and over the sheaves. Sheryl sewed the two lines together with waxed thread. In order to be successful, you have to make a strong union but not a bulky one. The hope here is that the lines will not get caught on any of the turning points or become separated while in the mast. That would make for a real mess. She then, very gently, started pulling the line through and up inside the mast. We both breathed a little easier when, at last, we looked up and saw the new line emerge from the top of the mast.

Step 2 is to cut the shackle off the old halyard and splice it on to the end of the new halyard. This is where Sheryl's ropework skills really shine. It is no simple task to take the end of the rope and expertly disassemble it. Specific measures and cuts are made such that the core from the end of the line is woven back onto itself, encircling the shackle. Once stuffed through, this double-thick section of line is secured with sutures and whipping. The resulting attachment is said to be stronger than any knot could be (as knots tend to reduce breaking strength). I think what Sheryl can do in this regard is simply amazing.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Included among today's chores was also a trip up the mast. We essentially flipped a coin, and Sheryl went up while I turned the winch. It was mostly a trip to visually inspect the rigging. Before we embrace our long journey on Mother-Mother Ocean, we want to be certain to look the boat over top to bottom, bow to stern. I am happy to report that everything checked out O.K. Sheryl re-positioned one of the radar reflectors while aloft, then I slowly lowered her back to the deck.

Chores still remaining on the 'to-do' list are really last-minute cleaning and arrangement of supplies. We will be starting to watch the weather in earnest now, looking for a week-long forecast which will give us the best possible ride north. It won't be long now before we are underway.





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]