14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

A Trip to the Big City: Hamilton, Bermuda

07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in St George's Harbour, Bermuda
32 22.748' N, 064 40.405' W

Today we decided to explore elsewhere in the archipelago which is Bermuda. Our favorite means of getting around (other than on foot) is to utilize public transportation systems. Here in Bermuda options include bus and ferry. We took a ferry to Hamilton, by way of the Royal Naval Dockyard. On the way back we rode a bus.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

It was a great way to see the island while leaving Prudence safely anchored in St. George's. The ferry ride showed us a plethora of reefs fringing the island which we would prefer to have no part of experiencing in our own vessel.

Hamilton is the big city in Bermuda, and it was a bit of a culture shock to be in such a 'developed' metropolis for the day.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

In addition to what Sheryl titles 'not really shopping' and what I considered to be way too much time traipsing through department stores, we did something truly touristy. We went to a museum. The Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute turned out to be just an O.K. place to spend an hour or so. But, you never know until you step inside a place what you might discover, right? Unfortunately, we felt as though it was not really worth the price of admission.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

We did succeed in our one goal for the day (the main reason for all that traipsing around in department stores). We found a kitchen timer to use on our next leg of the voyage. Now I won't have to abuse my travel alarm clock with any more salt water spray. We'll simply twist 10 minutes on the timer and relax until the 'ding.' This will keep our horizon scans for encroaching vessels regular and routine.

Now that we have seen the sights, it is merely a waiting game to find a good weather window to head for the U.S.A. Keep your fingers crossed for a good one to arrive soon.





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]