Voyages of Astral Loot

Our trip around the British isles - the abridged version!

21 June 2023 | Isles of Scilly
20 June 2023 | Penzance
19 June 2023 | Falmouth Yacht Haven
18 June 2023 | River Fowey
25 May 2023 | Plymouth Yacht Haven
18 May 2023 | River Yealm
14 May 2023 | Salcombe
11 May 2023
08 May 2023
07 May 2023 | Lyme Regis
02 May 2023 | Portland Marina, Dorset
30 April 2023 | Lymington Yacht Haven
26 April 2023 | Folly Reach, River Medina
24 April 2023 | Bembridge, Isle of Wight
21 April 2023 | Haslar Marina, Gosport
19 April 2023 | Newhaven
17 April 2023 | Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne
15 April 2023 | Dover
14 April 2023 | Walton on the Naze
19 May 2020 | Mylor Yacht Harbour

All the best plans....

11 May 2019 | Folly Inn, Isle of Wight
Ian & Linda Hudspeth
10 May 2019

Leaving Portsmouth Harbour it was clear that our intention to head for Chichester would mean an arduous beat to windward, so plans were hastily changed and we decided to head towards Cowes and the River Medina.

Close hauled with plenty of wind, we had to reef in the mainsail to give the ship's dog a more comfortable ride into the deeper water. As we changed course, the wind sat on our port beam to give a very pleasant and welcome sail and we were able to shake out the reef. However, the forecast variable wind did exactly as it says on the tin, first moving to our port quarter and then dying away completely. We were the middle of three yachts all in a row; first one, then us and then the last finally giving in and rolling away our genoas, continuing under engine power. When the wind did finally return (all four knots of it) it was off the starboard beam!

Cowes was probably the quietest we've ever seen it, still being early in the season, but we did follow a dredger into the river, have to dodge one of the Red Funnel ferries and give way to the chain ferry, or 'floating bridge'.


Cowes

We decided to skip the Cowes marinas and headed upstream towards Newport. There were plenty of spaces available at the Folly Inn moorings and we were able to moor up on the walk ashore pontoon, handy for both man and dog.


Folly Inn Moorings

Nice to meet up with some old friends, who presented us with two bags of sailing goodies well worthy of our spares cupboard. Thanks Mike, if you're reading!
Comments
Vessel Name: Astral Loot
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 376
Hailing Port: Titchmarsh Marina
Crew: Ian & Linda Hudspeth