Voyages of Astral Loot

Our trip around the British isles - the abridged version!

21 June 2023 | Isles of Scilly
20 June 2023 | Penzance
19 June 2023 | Falmouth Yacht Haven
18 June 2023 | River Fowey
25 May 2023 | Plymouth Yacht Haven
18 May 2023 | River Yealm
14 May 2023 | Salcombe
11 May 2023
08 May 2023
07 May 2023 | Lyme Regis
02 May 2023 | Portland Marina, Dorset
30 April 2023 | Lymington Yacht Haven
26 April 2023 | Folly Reach, River Medina
24 April 2023 | Bembridge, Isle of Wight
21 April 2023 | Haslar Marina, Gosport
19 April 2023 | Newhaven
17 April 2023 | Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne
15 April 2023 | Dover
14 April 2023 | Walton on the Naze
19 May 2020 | Mylor Yacht Harbour

Back over the water

24 May 2019 | Bembridge, Isle of Wight
Ian & Linda Hudspeth
22 May 2019

A tricky passage today back over the Solent to Bembridge on the north east side of the Isle of Wight. Both Chichester and Bembridge have significant tidal windows, so it was inevitable that we would have to bash the tide at some point.

Leaving Chichester before the top of the tide, we managed to find a slightly calmer exit close to the western side of the harbour entrance, just off Hayling Island. It's amazing how deep the water can be so close inshore - rather like the entrance to the River Deben for those of you familiar with our own home patch.

For once we had a cracking sail across the Solent, alas all too short, the distance between the two harbour entrances being only a few miles. The tidal gauge at Bembridge harbour entrance has been removed in favour of a live web feed - very useful as long as you have a smartphone, and yes, we did meet one skipper without one!

Bembridge Harbour is very shallow, with only a small bar to stop it drying out completely. The channel entrance winds around and is very shallow at times, even at high water. We were relieved to be safely tied up alongside and Astral Loot's batteries heaved a sigh of relief when plugged into the mains after 4 nights without shore power. It was fascinating to see the transformation of the harbour as the tide went out.



Our view at high water.....



....and at low water

Bembridge town is on the opposite side of the harbour to the marina and although there is a harbour taxi, this can only run when there is enough water. Fortunately, there is a rather handy causeway that is accessible at all states of the tide.



The causeway - a different proposition at night after a few pints of Isle of Wight ale!


No visit to Bembridge is complete without a trek up to the Yarborough Monument (dedicated to the first commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron) on Bembridge Down, which offers spectacular views over the island and across the Solent to Portsmouth and beyond.



From Bembridge Down to Bembridge Harbour with Portsmouth in the distance

A final thanks to Island Taxis (you know who you are!) for your help, hospitality and friendship over the past few days.




Comments
Vessel Name: Astral Loot
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 376
Hailing Port: Titchmarsh Marina
Crew: Ian & Linda Hudspeth