Audrey's journey

20 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 April 2012 | 34.72N 76.66W
01 March 2012 | Beaufort NC
03 January 2012 | 1603 Ann St
23 December 2010 | Beaufort NC
25 February 2010 | 34 42.5N
22 January 2010 | Towne Creek Marine
02 November 2009 | 34 43.5'N: 76 39.8'W
11 March 2009 | Shakleford Banks NC
26 February 2009 | Beaufort NC
22 February 2009 | beaufort or Blowfort!
22 February 2009 | Town Creek Marina
15 February 2009 | Port City Java NC
08 February 2009 | Oriental
05 February 2009 | Oriental
29 January 2009 | Cape Fear NC
21 January 2009 | Beaufort, NC
18 January 2009 | Still in Minnesott
12 January 2009 | Minessott Beach, NC
28 December 2008 | The Cabin

Back to Minnessott from Cape Fear!

05 February 2009 | Oriental
Jon - still freezing cold
THINK YOU COULD GET A SAILBOAT IN THERE? THIS IS MINNESSOTT!

Well, we decided that with no mainsail, our best option was to head back to the marina in Minnessott and regroup to try for the Bahamas again next year.

We also still have to find the source of our electrical issues (we think now battery related) before we can really contemplate any long trips as without reliable power, being away from a dock is a problem.

So, we left Southport at 8am Friday January 30th, with the high for the day forecast for low 30s, and windy. Motoring up the ICW is long, and tedious, and not something either of us wanted to do (or want to do again!). Given the temperatures, our electrical issues and no heat on the boat without being plugged in to shore power, we needed to plan on a marina stop each night as ICW motoring is at least for us a daylight activity.

The trip back to Minnessott would take us 4 days given the short days and lack of available marinas. We planned stops in Topsail Beach on the first night, Swansboro the 2nd night, Morehead City the 3rd nght, then home to Minnessott.

The trip to Topsail was uneventful, and we timed the two bridges that needed to be opened for our passing so that we didn't need to wait too long - but with lots of shoaling, and shallow water, we both had to stay alert and alternate at the helm, so it was very cold!

Highlights/lowlights were:

Audrey ran like clockwork, with no engine or other mechanical issues, while sipping fuel at a rate of about 6 tenths of a gallon per hour at 2200 rpm making approx 6 1/2 knots.

We only ran aground once, in the New River Inlet where shoaling is expected and predicted. We were able to get ourselves off without too much of a problem, with some help from the wake of a passing fisherman.

Good showers at a private marina in Topsail, miles from anywhere, but with a Chinese restaurant that delivered to the dock! Quite a treat.

Swansboro was a nice little town, but they had turned the hot water off to the showers because of the freezing temperatures - so the coffee shop was the only place to warm up.

Sailing through US Marine Corps base at camp Le Jeune was an experience with lots of old tanks that appeared to be used for target practice! Not something we expected to see on the high seas!

Morehead City had a hot shower, but not much else, except we were referred to a sailmaker who came to the boat to pick up the sail for repair and/or replacement.

Minnessott - having spent 4 days in sub-zero temps, and wind, etc. we arrived at our home base, having called ahead to check on water condiitions - "oh, the water level is fine, you won't have any problems" was what we were told, so we were looking forward to getting in around 2pm on day 4, tying-up, getting a hot shower and a home cooked (boat cooked) meal.

Well, we ran aground in three feet of water, got "help" from the marina staff who ran us further aground, and waited for Tow Boat US to tow us off the multiple sand banks in the official channel.

So, after two hours of being towed in every direction to get us free, we headed for Oriental where we arrived just about when darkness was falling. We'd called ahead for a berth at the Oriental Marina to confirm HOT showers! and deep enough water.
Comments
Vessel Name: Audrey
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 367 Cutter
Hailing Port: Beaufort NC
Crew: Jon & Michelle Groom
About: Jon & Michelle have been sailing since 2007, starting in Monterey Bay in California with a Pearson 30, then upgrading to a Hunter 44DS which we lived aboard for a year, before moving back to the east cost and to their newest boat, Audrey, a 1981 Pearson 367 Cutter.
Extra: Having lived aboard during 2007 in California, Jon & Michelle moved to a cabin in the Catskills in NY, and spent two winters in Beaufort, NC, where we moved permanently in April 2010, so now we have a cottage and our boat in Beaufort.
Home Page: www.audreysails.com

About the crew

Who: Jon & Michelle Groom
Port: Beaufort NC