Fixing Your Boat In Far Flung Places

Aurora Of Polruan

02 June 2019 | Fethyie
02 June 2019 | Yacht Classic Fethyie
19 May 2019 | Gulf Of Kekova
14 May 2019 | Castle Island Gokova Gulf
13 May 2019 | Akbuk Gokova Korfezi
07 May 2019 | Bozburun
01 October 2018 | Symi
18 September 2018 | Dodecanese
26 June 2018 | Gocek
08 June 2018
01 June 2018 | Kekova
01 June 2018 | Kas
30 May 2018 | Kalkan
30 May 2018
11 October 2017 | Ciftlik , Turkey
09 October 2017 | Pedi , Symi island
02 October 2017 | Nisiros Greece

A week whizzes by

20 May 2017 | Yacht Classic Fethyie
Alan enjoying the sun
It does not seem two minutes since Olivia and Gordon joined us onboard early last sunday morning. Today finds us at the yacht classic hotel in Fethyie. Its a rather swanky hotel with mooring space for 30 or so boats attached. There are various pools, one with a swim up bar, hamam is on offer, the food is delicious and the showers are the type that appear to have a magnet in them that stops you getting out. After a few days out and about its a real pleasure to stand and getting your salt encrusted body fresh and dandy once again.
I am told that this beautiful spot is a favorite of Daniel Craig 007, and you can understand why, its a beautiful place. As we speak, Dorothy is by the pool on the off chance Daniel has popped over for a wee break. First sight of Daniel and Dorothy's plan is to feign distress in the pool, splash round helplessly......then demanding mouth to mouth recussitation..she IS a girl. Fortunately, she is my girl.
So!!! what have this weeks crew been up to? Not a fat lot in all honesty, some heavy duty sunbathing, rigorous swimming in the sea and not to mention some beer and wine drinking.
The weather has been mixed too with a couple of days being completely overcast. Thursday night saw a tremendous thunderstorm at about 3 in the morning. There is nothing quite like being on a yacht on the water with a crash bang wallop of a thunderstorm overhead to me make you feel close to nature.....in all honesty ...too blinking close thank you very much !! One thunderclap was either so near or so big that you actually felt the vibration through your chest, a bit like that moment when Led Zepplin fire up their amplifiers.
Dorothy and I have decided that Olivia and Gordon cannot go home....having crew on board who perform all the the little tasks unquestioning, is just brilliant. Lets compare a stern two with dorothy and i compared to Olivia,Gordon,Dorothy and I.
1. Dorothy and Me
I get anchor ready and choose spot to drop it over the side.
I drop anchor and reverse ever so slowly , dropping the appropriate amount of chain for the depth
Dorothy stands at the bow telling me how much chain has gone.
We wait for the anchor to bite and hold us steady.
We have a conversation as to who is going in with the stern line.
We have a conversation as to which rock we might attach the stern line.
We have a conversation as to where Dorothys jelly shoes are.
Dorothy gets me to sign an affadavit stating the propellor is not turning.
I then have to swear on the holy bible that the propellor is not turning.
Dorothy jumps in and swims for shore with stern line.
Dorothy stops short of shore and spends 10 minutes checking for sea urchins.
Dorothy decides this job might be best done by someone else.
I jump in the water, swim to shore and attach rope to terra firma.
I swim back to the boat and make good the stern line.
I repeat operation with second stern line
Job done.
2. Olivia, Gordon, Dorothy and me
I get anchor ready and choose spot to drop it over the side.
I drop anchor and reverse ever so slowly , dropping the appropriate amount of chain for the depth.
Dorothy stands at the bow telling me how much chain has gone.
We wait for anchor to bite.
I stop the propellor turning
Olivia and Gordon do back flip ..with twist into the sea with lines in hand.
They power to shore, leap onto the rocks and attach ropes.
I make the lines good, taught against the anchor.
Job done.
You may be able to spot difference in these two approaches. One is fraught and testy ...one a pleasure.

A similar pattern unfolds when mooring up stern to on a pontoon. Each crew member having a job, i just stand around issuing orders, looking as though i know what i am doing, grimly holdng the wheel in an attempt to reverse Aurora in the general direction required.

This week, Gordon has been busy inventing new nautical terms..a "stern ho" is now part of this boats vocabulary....but only Gordon knows what it means.

We have spent the week wandering around the bays, some nights at anchor, some in bay restaurants, it has been lovely.
We have visited OluDeniz which is just beautiful, a real picture postcard sort of place, Google it if you dont believe me. We have been visited in the bays by various vendors selling all sorts of lovely goodness, baklava, cheese and spinach savories, honey , fresh bread and fruit. All in all, it has been a grand week and i hope olivia and gordon have enjoyed a taste of life afloat.
Comments
Vessel Name: Aurora Of Polruan
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 425
Hailing Port: Fowey
Crew: Alan and Dorothy-Anne Bulmer
About: Semi retired out to prove you we still have it in us before it's too late
Extra: We are not performance sailors...more your destination sailors. This is our first yacht and experiences therein :-). Aurora is a Moody 425 built in 1990. We are the second owners and we hope that Aurora will look after us as well as she has her previous owner Dennis
Aurora Of Polruan's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 29 September 2017
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
Trip including time with Helen,Andrew,Sandra and Chloe
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
These are a few photographs of our first week out here in Marmaris
8 Photos
Created 10 May 2016
A few pictures of the area
9 Photos
Created 5 May 2016
A few jobs undertaken over the winter following the purchase of Aurora.
15 Photos
Created 13 April 2016
Aurora Of Polruan
5 Photos
Created 13 April 2016
2 Photos
Created 12 April 2016