Fixing Your Boat In Far Flung Places

Aurora Of Polruan

02 June 2019 | Fethyie
02 June 2019 | Yacht Classic Fethyie
19 May 2019 | Gulf Of Kekova
14 May 2019 | Castle Island Gokova Gulf
13 May 2019 | Akbuk Gokova Korfezi
07 May 2019 | Bozburun
01 October 2018 | Symi
18 September 2018 | Dodecanese
26 June 2018 | Gocek
08 June 2018
01 June 2018 | Kekova
01 June 2018 | Kas
30 May 2018 | Kalkan
30 May 2018
11 October 2017 | Ciftlik , Turkey
09 October 2017 | Pedi , Symi island
02 October 2017 | Nisiros Greece

Never at a loss in Tilos

01 October 2017 | Tilos, Greece
Alan, bit chilly
So, in the end, we stayed in Tilos for 5 days. The winds were blowing a little too strongly for the crew's liking, so we decided to substitute bashing about in 20 plus winds for walking , swimming and enjoying the laid back place that Tilos undoubtebly is. We made friends with the boats around us, who, like us did not need to break cover until the wind abated. The walks along the coastal path were absolutely stunning, with hardly a soul for company. We would arrive at a beach, where bathing costumes were not required, drip dry in the sun, marvellous. A walk from sea level, upwards, inland brought us to Mikro Horio, which is basically a village on the moutainside which until the the 1970's was a thriving community. presumably a decision was made to just give up life on the slopes , where, i guess, there was no electric, running water etc. Now, the village, is just crumbling away before your eyes. a solutary experience. The walk from sea level to Mikro Horio with Dorothy-Anne however, had its points of note. It was never going to be easy on the legs or the lungs in the warm. So, when Dorothy asked "we are not going all the way up to the top are we?"...a teenie weenie white lie had to be told. Well, let me tell you, lying, is never the best policy. As we laboured up the hill in the heat, Dorothy, trailing behind like a recalcitrant teenager, could be heard to moan..."I am not moving another inch, I am waiting here"...to which I replied "stop moaning and just get on with it" ...and i moved on. i finally reached the village, and sat down to soak up the fantastic view. A few minutes later, Dorothy, rosy faced and clearly in some distress, joined we in the view. The view itself and the eerieness of the village seemed to calm Dorothy, and the appearance of a spinnach and feta filo pastie positively brought Dorothy back to life. The walk back to the boat went a whole lot better as it was downhill all the way.
On Tilos, there is 1 bus which meanders from one end of the island to the other. So, we took the bus 1.5 euro from end to end. Having stopped in the 'main' village, the choice, was a vertiginous climb up to the castle of the knights or a gentle walk to a beach , which we were promised came complete with sand. you can jolly well guess which option we took. The beach was beautiful.
Comments
Vessel Name: Aurora Of Polruan
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 425
Hailing Port: Fowey
Crew: Alan and Dorothy-Anne Bulmer
About: Semi retired out to prove you we still have it in us before it's too late
Extra: We are not performance sailors...more your destination sailors. This is our first yacht and experiences therein :-). Aurora is a Moody 425 built in 1990. We are the second owners and we hope that Aurora will look after us as well as she has her previous owner Dennis
Aurora Of Polruan's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 29 September 2017
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
Trip including time with Helen,Andrew,Sandra and Chloe
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
These are a few photographs of our first week out here in Marmaris
8 Photos
Created 10 May 2016
A few pictures of the area
9 Photos
Created 5 May 2016
A few jobs undertaken over the winter following the purchase of Aurora.
15 Photos
Created 13 April 2016
Aurora Of Polruan
5 Photos
Created 13 April 2016
2 Photos
Created 12 April 2016