Fixing Your Boat In Far Flung Places

Aurora Of Polruan

02 June 2019 | Fethyie
02 June 2019 | Yacht Classic Fethyie
19 May 2019 | Gulf Of Kekova
14 May 2019 | Castle Island Gokova Gulf
13 May 2019 | Akbuk Gokova Korfezi
07 May 2019 | Bozburun
01 October 2018 | Symi
18 September 2018 | Dodecanese
26 June 2018 | Gocek
08 June 2018
01 June 2018 | Kekova
01 June 2018 | Kas
30 May 2018 | Kalkan
30 May 2018
11 October 2017 | Ciftlik , Turkey
09 October 2017 | Pedi , Symi island
02 October 2017 | Nisiros Greece

Storm Time, Turkey

11 October 2017 | Ciftlik , Turkey
Arriving in Bozburun (Turkey) harbour before lunch, i was surprised to see the normally quiet harbour already beginning to fill with boats. Like myself, people reading the forecast had decided to dive for cover before the storm arrived. We got a spot on the quayside, nestled amongst a line of boats, with our tail facing the direction of the impending weather, a safe place to be as it proved. Those who decided to leave their arrival until late in the afternoon found it difficult to fnd anywhere to moor, the early bird catches the worm as they say. Bozburun is one of the few hidey holes on this part of the Turkish coast where you can actually moor in the town itself. This is rather pleasant, as the trip to the shops and restaurants and bars is a short one. If you forget your beer, its not too far to go back and get some.....though to my knowledge forgetting the beer whilst shopping has NEVER happened. Bozburun itself is a pretty little resort frequented by Turkish families, though it is a long way frm being a Blackpool and has a good feel about it. The strong winds and indeed storm on one day, kept us in the harbour for 4 nights, so , out came the walking shoes again and off we went. The weather has cooled down to the low 20s degrees and is much more pleasureable for walking. As luck would have it, we were moored within 50 metres of the Bozburun mosque, which is a rather grand affair for such a small place. So we were ideally placed to listen to the regular prayers session relayed through very loud speakers , morning, noon and night. As there was a whole host of boats sitting out the strong winds and rain, we made a number of new acquantences which was lovely. We moored next to a French boat which gave me a great opportunity to try out my pathetic schoolboy French, which, as it happened, did not go too badly. Dorothy invested in a new bikini ready for next season as i think as the days get cooler we spend less and less time in the sea. Having sat out the bad weather, we decided to set off back towards Marmaris as we need to speak to various people with regards winter works. For example , we have no running water as of this morning...and we have water leaking from the freshwater system into the bilges which is not ideal. So today has been a 30 mile trip entirely under sail which was fantastic...Though Dorothy described it as more of an Ellen McArthur type of day as opposed to a Jackie Onassis type of day as we rattled along with some big seas and windy wind, lifejackets and rain jackets to the fore as the temperature in the shade of the sails left a little to be desired, in fact it was chuffing cold. A great sail bringing us to an anchorage in a pretty bay called Ciftkic where we sit prior to a short hop to Marmaris, which according to the weather forecast will be undertaken on the engine as the wind finally dies away for a few days. This trip , we have seen more days of strong wind than all of our other visits put together. Indeed, our last night at anchor proved to be a windy old affair. The forecast promised that the winds would die away late evening when in fact the winds did not subside until around 4 in the morning. It is now flat calm and perfect for swimming, the sun is up and not too hot, like a perfect UK day (well everywher apart from the West coast of Scotland)...where better place to spend your anniversary with your beautiful wife and absolute love.

Comments
Vessel Name: Aurora Of Polruan
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 425
Hailing Port: Fowey
Crew: Alan and Dorothy-Anne Bulmer
About: Semi retired out to prove you we still have it in us before it's too late
Extra: We are not performance sailors...more your destination sailors. This is our first yacht and experiences therein :-). Aurora is a Moody 425 built in 1990. We are the second owners and we hope that Aurora will look after us as well as she has her previous owner Dennis
Aurora Of Polruan's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 29 September 2017
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
Trip including time with Helen,Andrew,Sandra and Chloe
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
These are a few photographs of our first week out here in Marmaris
8 Photos
Created 10 May 2016
A few pictures of the area
9 Photos
Created 5 May 2016
A few jobs undertaken over the winter following the purchase of Aurora.
15 Photos
Created 13 April 2016
Aurora Of Polruan
5 Photos
Created 13 April 2016
2 Photos
Created 12 April 2016