Aussie Rules has been sold and We are back in BC enjoying land life for now.

We enjoyed our time in Sint Maarten but decided against buying Ohana. We are boat free for the first time in a long time! Not sure for how long....

Visit's with the Donovan's and their great group of friends

24 December 2015
We got to Sydney on Dec 19th, having driven 1100 kms (or at least Dave did) from Mooloolaba. It's Christmas Eve and we have managed to twist Dave's moms arm to let us visit down here a bit longer, as we won't get back on this trip.

When we first got to town, we stayed with the Donovan's. Friends from Apex a LONG time ago. Dave also got in a quick visit with his brother Greg and sister-in-law Maureen. While he was there, I went on an awesome early morning bike ride along the waterfront with Rob, Leanne and several friends. The walkways go forever, right above the beach.....in front of posh houses, Surf Lifesavers Clubs and Sailing clubs. Even early on a Sunday morning there were thousands of people like us out and about. Surfing, swimming, walking....dogs, kids, you name it...everyone was out.

After the ride, we all stopped at a coffee shop run out of a sailing club and Ian, the only sailor in the crowd was happy to talk boats and we were quickly nudged over to one side as the others laughed at us for being "sailing geeks, talking the talk". Leanne invited everyone over for lunch and we all headed back to get prepared.

During lunch we had plenty of time to talk boats and Dave was back by then, so he and Ian swapped stories. It was really great to spend some time with the whole bunch, kids and all, as they are such a nice circle of friends. By now Archie the guard dog had warmed up to me, so I was in heaven. Funny...he is a little fluff ball, who has an alter ego once he has a ball in his mouth and although he loves to play tug of war with it, if you didn't know better,the sounds he made would make you think he was a sabre toothed tiger!

Later that day we ended up on Ian and Lisa's 'Moody 41'. It's a beautiful sailboat and it was really nice to go below and really check it out as it will be a similar layout and size to the Catalina 400.

For those Apex people out there, keep your eyes peeled as the Donovan's are inbound...first a couple of weeks at Silverstar mid Jan and then a week at Apex for the first week of Feb! Save then some freshies.
Comments
Vessel Name: Aussie Rules
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 34 MK I I
Hailing Port: Gabriola Island
Crew: Dave and Rose Hayes
About: We have sold the boat and are back on Gabriola. What a treat to know where things are and have vehicles to buy what we need ! We also have wifi at the trailer, which we are staying in until we build.
Extra:
Now we are researching building details and courses to take which will lead to jobs (Dave) and permaculture and gardening and how best to allocate on our site at this time (me). We have a cistern and rooftop rainwater collection started today from the roof of the future shop and 10x10 shed beside [...]

we are back home on Gabriola and working toward house plans and all kinds of building details.

Who: Dave and Rose Hayes
Port: Gabriola Island