Anchored at Annapolis MD
20 May 2018 | weems creek off severn river
Dean -- SUN (first time in 5 days)
Sunday, 20 May 2018 - Anchored at Annapolis MD (Weems Creek)
The trip up the Bay, yesterday, was one of the smoothest the AB has ever had. I mention this because of the trepidation that led up to it. The weather forecasts were changing from hour to hour.... But we knew how the Bay is..."semi-unpredictable".... Pete and Bunny on s/v Avalon had their family reunion at 2 or 3 PM on Saturday, so elected to take the "sure thing" (rent a slip for Avalon, and rent a car at Solomons MD, and drive there, rather than taking the sailboat).
Susan and I pulled anchor (AFTER the ROYAL WEDDING)... and went to the Spring Cove Fuel dock. We loaded 80 gallons of diesel, and had the waste tank pumped out. Then decided that we'd "stick our nose out there" in the Bay once again, and see what happens.
The trip was WET... in that we got several deluge type rains, but all in all, a very easy RIDE... WE had to motor the whole way... because after 2 hour, the minor winds from our stern (South), changed to NORTH at about 10 to 13 knots.... BUT (and here's the weird thing), the waters in the Bay were like glass... "OILY Seas"...we call them... when there's no wind ripples (or "CATS Paws.
We did watch the Royal Wedding, while waiting to pull anchor at Solomons MD... IT was a thing of beauty, and pageantry.
As has been our history, today is DAY 30 on the Maxwell House coffee, and we're OUT! Don't know exactly why that happens, but we exactly ONE MONTH from each and every can of coffee (like clockwork)! So, I "hit" our storage bin, called "Plastic Land", (because it's next to the Flux Gate compass for the autopilot, and can't have any metal stored there), and got our second last can of coffee... Yeah!!! WE can be AWAKE today !!!
We made it up the bay, Solomons to Annapolis, fighting the EBB all the way, in 7 hours, and 40 minutes, exactly as calculated. We anchored at our normal place in WEEMS Creek. N 38 59.919 W 076 30.222
Coming up the Bay yesterday, I had to laugh, as we motored north. At several places, the course turned into a SLOLOM course; weaving our way through dozens of fishing boats. And half of these boats had those outrigger "thingys" that spread their lines out to the sides.... So just avoiding the boat isn't quite enough!!!
We're supposed to meet Susan's buddie Deb Taber in a short bit... so I'd better get busy, doing breakfast, and unloading the newly PATCHED dinghy ("George") from the foredeck.
I mention "newly Patched" George, because (and I don't know if I related this or not)... While we were anchored at Belhaven NC, Susan and I were motoring "George" to shore, and we saw a teenager, tipover a motor boat, fairly near shore; The teen swam to shore, but the boat, along with all his fishing gear partially sank near some pilings; So we quickly motored over there to make sure he was safe (He WAS); and then went to see IF we could tow the now fully submerged boat to shore, or at least get the teen and his buddies a line to it.... So They COULD "muscle" it ashore or to the nearby ramp. Anyway, while we were attaching a line to their sunken boat, I noticed that we had a 1.5 inch RIP in the bow of GEORGE... and were loosing AIR like crazy.... I though we'd punctured GEORGE on the sunking boat... but NO.... the RIP was exactly where our bow line rubs, when we stand in the dink and motor in rough weather.... The fabric just "gave up the ghost"... SO............ Pete (came down in a River forest Golf cart) and I pulled George up on the dock and I put a patch over the "rip".... WELL that sort of worked... for a day or two... then I sprayed the patch with "soap & water mix" (for bubbles).... And noticed the patch was leaking at 3 places... the 1.5 inch RIP was just too large for that patch... (It's really in a terrible spot on the bow).... SO NOW that whole area is covered in 5200 sealant.... (sort of "last ditch" effort to save George)....
OK.... SO... breakfast time (pancakes, sausage, and eggs, because we're standing STILL for a day).