Around Vancouver Island 2013

Vessel Name: Reborn
Vessel Make/Model: 1952 Wood Ketch out of Orkney Islands
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, BC Canada
Crew: Moe and Laurie
About:
Moe, the Skipper, has many years of sailing experience. He owned his first sailing dinghy when he was 15 and sailed with his friends around the Sunshine Coast of BC. Later he discovered windsurfing and devoted many years to his board. [...]
Extra: Reborn is a 42' fibre glass over wood ketch built in the Orkney islands in 1952. In her life time she has been redone enough times to carry her name with pride. Reborn has served as a pilot boat, a pleasure motor craft and now as a ketch.
21 August 2013 | Winter Cove to Nanaimo
21 August 2013 | Sidney Spit to Winter Cove, Saturna Island
21 August 2013 | Victoria to Sidney Spit
21 August 2013 | Sooke to Victoria
14 August 2013 | Bamfield to Sooke
13 August 2013 | Ucluelet and Ucluelet to Bamfield
06 August 2013 | Ucluelet
06 August 2013 | Joe's Bay to Ucluelet
06 August 2013 | Tofino to Joe's Bay
06 August 2013 | Tofino
02 August 2013 | Bacchante Bay to Tofino
02 August 2013 | Hot Springs Cove to Bacchante Bay
02 August 2013 | Friendly Cove to Hot Springs Cove
02 August 2013 | Bodega Cove to Friendly Cove
02 August 2013 | Tahsis to Bodega Cove, Kendrick Island
28 July 2013 | Dixie Cove to Tahsis
27 July 2013 | Walter's Cove to Dixie Cove, Hohoae Island
25 July 2013 | Bunsby Islands to Walter's Cove, Kyoquot
25 July 2013 | Columbia Cove to Bunsby Islands
24 July 2013 | Walter's Cove, Kyoquot
Recent Blog Posts
21 August 2013 | Winter Cove to Nanaimo

Day 39

Day 39 – August 29, 2013 Monday

21 August 2013 | Sidney Spit to Winter Cove, Saturna Island

Day 38

Day 38 – August 11, 2013 Sunday

21 August 2013 | Victoria to Sidney Spit

Day 37

Day 37 – August 10, 2013 Saturday

21 August 2013 | Sooke to Victoria

Day 36

Day 36 – August 9, 2013 Friday

14 August 2013 | Bamfield to Sooke

Day 35

Day 35 – August 8, 2013 Thursday

13 August 2013 | Ucluelet and Ucluelet to Bamfield

Day 33 and Day 34

Day 33 and Day 34, August 6 and 7, 2013 Tuesday and Wednesday

Day 4

09 July 2013 | Pender Harbour to Westview
Laurie / Sunny and Warm
Day 4 - July 8, 2013 Monday

We were up at about 5:00 a.m. this morning; I don't even get up this early to go to work! We decided last night that if our speed was a modest 3 - 4 knots that it would take us approximately 8 hours to get to our destination even though we didn't exactly know what our destination would be. We had a choice of Sturt Bay on the north end of Texada, Powell River or Lund. The plan was to get out early and see how far we got before making a firm decision. I once read that prudent sailors always register a sail plan. How about a sail idea, would that work?

I had a quick bowl of Corn Flakes and did my chores while Moe did his. We pulled up a very smelly and muddy anchor and were on our way out of Pender Harbour at 6:50 a.m. I cannot lie, mornings on the water really are quite nice!

As we were going directly into the wind we chose to motor for the day. As we travelled we weighed our options and decided that Westview in Powell River would be our final destination for the day. We called in to the Westview Marina and reserved a spot on the dock. The entrance into the marina is pretty narrow and we almost turned around thinking that such a small entrance couldn't possibly be right! Though we may be a little lax on registering sail plans, I think we're pretty good about making sure we follow our charts and, sure enough, the tiny little entrance was the way in. The spot we were assigned was also pretty tight so Moe had to do some tricky manoeuvers to get the boat in while I assisted with the pike pole, staving off the attack dock. But we made it and were tied up securely by 12:50 p.m.

Westview Marina is very well equipped and accommodating for boaters. The wharfinger let us know about the free shuttle van that would be by and take us to the mall. Lucky for us it arrived about five minutes after we began our wait and took us and a few other passengers to the mall. We picked up a few supplies but didn't want to wait until 4:00 when the shuttle would pick us up and return us to the dock so we took the opportunity to get some exercise and walked back to the marina. The walk was mostly downhill so our journey didn't last too long and gave us the chance to stop and check out the fabulous view. From Westview the view stretches from the top end of Texada to the south, across Georgia Strait to Vancouver Island to the west and past Savary Island to the northwest. The day was clear and sunny and the view was spectacular!

We got back to Reborn just in time for our afternoon nap. The day was pretty hot so it was quite nice to hide away and have a snooze until it cooled enough to make dinner. The company that we had the previous few days supplied us with lots of food so I tossed the remnants together and made us a delicious and saucy stir fry with couscous. Then it was shower time, quickly followed by charting and planning for the next day.

We have never sailed to Campbell River before. In fact, our tie up in Westview is the beginning of everything new. From here on we are in new waters, marinas and anchorages until we round the south end of Vancouver Island and reach Sydney. Then we get back into familiar waters.
Campbell River is at the entrance to Discovery Passage. Discovery Passage has quite strong currents in it and after reading and studying I admit I was a little nervous about going there. The Sailing Directions and our Dreamspeaker book both warned us of the strong currents running out of Discovery Passage by Cape Mudge. Our plan was to get there when the current wasn't our enemy but our friend.

Plans made, it was time to retire for the night!
Comments

About & Links