Around Vancouver Island 2013

Vessel Name: Reborn
Vessel Make/Model: 1952 Wood Ketch out of Orkney Islands
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, BC Canada
Crew: Moe and Laurie
Moe, the Skipper, has many years of sailing experience. He owned his first sailing dinghy when he was 15 and sailed with his friends around the Sunshine Coast of BC. Later he discovered windsurfing and devoted many years to his board. [...]
Extra: Reborn is a 42' fibre glass over wood ketch built in the Orkney islands in 1952. In her life time she has been redone enough times to carry her name with pride. Reborn has served as a pilot boat, a pleasure motor craft and now as a ketch.
21 August 2013 | Winter Cove to Nanaimo
21 August 2013 | Sidney Spit to Winter Cove, Saturna Island
21 August 2013 | Victoria to Sidney Spit
21 August 2013 | Sooke to Victoria
14 August 2013 | Bamfield to Sooke
13 August 2013 | Ucluelet and Ucluelet to Bamfield
06 August 2013 | Ucluelet
06 August 2013 | Joe's Bay to Ucluelet
06 August 2013 | Tofino to Joe's Bay
06 August 2013 | Tofino
02 August 2013 | Bacchante Bay to Tofino
02 August 2013 | Hot Springs Cove to Bacchante Bay
02 August 2013 | Friendly Cove to Hot Springs Cove
02 August 2013 | Bodega Cove to Friendly Cove
02 August 2013 | Tahsis to Bodega Cove, Kendrick Island
28 July 2013 | Dixie Cove to Tahsis
27 July 2013 | Walter's Cove to Dixie Cove, Hohoae Island
25 July 2013 | Bunsby Islands to Walter's Cove, Kyoquot
25 July 2013 | Columbia Cove to Bunsby Islands
24 July 2013 | Walter's Cove, Kyoquot
Recent Blog Posts
21 August 2013 | Winter Cove to Nanaimo

Day 39

Day 39 – August 29, 2013 Monday

21 August 2013 | Sidney Spit to Winter Cove, Saturna Island

Day 38

Day 38 – August 11, 2013 Sunday

21 August 2013 | Victoria to Sidney Spit

Day 37

Day 37 – August 10, 2013 Saturday

21 August 2013 | Sooke to Victoria

Day 36

Day 36 – August 9, 2013 Friday

14 August 2013 | Bamfield to Sooke

Day 35

Day 35 – August 8, 2013 Thursday

13 August 2013 | Ucluelet and Ucluelet to Bamfield

Day 33 and Day 34

Day 33 and Day 34, August 6 and 7, 2013 Tuesday and Wednesday

Day 15

24 July 2013 | Winter Harbour
Laurie / I think it was sunny!
Day 15 - July 19, 2013

Finally, a sleep in day! YAY! As usual, Moe was up before me checking the weather. As the weather had changed he decided it would likely be best just to hang out in Winter Harbour for one more day. That was fine with me so I spent until 7:30 having a sleep in.

Our morning progressed casually with some galley clean up, a garbage and recycling run followed by a leisurely breakfast of sausage, potato pancakes, eggs and toast. It's amazing what can be cooked when there's time. We also took out a chicken to roast for tonight.

Phil, the fellow that we had met down the Boardwalk yesterday, stopped by while we were talking with Jim, from 'Endurance'. A few minutes later his wife, Pat, and niece, Addie, came down. Moe gave Phil a boat tour and we visited with them for a few minutes getting some more very good local knowledge regarding our trip past Brooks Peninsula. Pat recommended that we go visit the local museum, but we had to get there by 1:00 as the Post Mistress had the key and she was done for the day at 1:00. We did go up there about 12:45 and met Jim and Brian up there. The museum is small but has lots of photos and history. Unfortunately, I don't recall much of what I read, but I do know that this place was advertised as being the upcoming coastal community of its time. I believe that logging was the first industry, closely followed by fishing. Now Winter Harbour is well known as a haven from the stormy seas and a top rate place for catching fish. Not that the fish are caught in Winter Harbour, but in the sea outside the harbour. Just in case you were wondering. There are fishing lodges, RV sites and cottages here for those who want to fish and get their limit. We certainly have seen a lot of dead fish since we arrived! Lots of salmon, some cod and even a small sole.

After the Post Mistress gently kicked us out of the museum I headed to the Qualicum Rivers Resort. They manage the public wharf that we`re on and have internet. It was time to update the world with our progress, check email and get some business done. While I did that Moe returned to Reborn and read up on our next destinations, listened to the weather and checked the charts.

Having finished my internet business (I thought), I returned to Reborn only to see Porpoise coming into the harbour. They chose to anchor out rather than coming to the dock. About that time, I realized that I had missed doing some business so had to go back to the lodge with my computer and the rechargeable batteries in my camera which were now dying. As I completed my work in the lodge Moe stayed on Reborn to relax and read a book.

On my return I saw that the small fishing boat beside had been occupied by the scantily clad girls that accompany the fishermen that run the boat. The sun was shining and both girls had their bikinis on. One had just a skimpy, wee orange thong and teeny top.! How can you fault a man for having his eyes bug out of his head every time there was a `tails up`. Eventually the men returned to go fishing and the girls headed back to shore.
Though the dock was a good place for one night Moe thought it would be best to save ourselves the moorage fees and go anchor out. Not only would it be less expensive, but it would be quieter so off we headed to find good anchorage. We dropped the anchor just on the high side of a sloping ledge. At this time the wind was starting to pick up and I was feeling a little nervous that our anchor might slip over the edge. Though this was highly unlikely to happen as we had set a good hook, I still fretted.

Our chicken was roasting nicely in the oven but with all the back and forth I had done between the boat and the lodge I hadn't put the potatoes in the oven soon enough and when we settled at anchor shortly after 7:00 p.m. they still needed more cooking time. Our oven does slow cook very well and does not like to be rushed. Just before 8:00 Moe decided he needed a nap and laid down for a snooze. It was about 8:45 by the time the potatoes were done. Way too late for my liking. Moe got up to eat then headed back to bed. I cleaned up the galley, put the food away and decided that since the wind was still blowing I would stand anchor watch for awhile. I was rewarded with watching a coastal workboat bring two new docks in around 10:00. They clearly put in long hours!

Once the docks were in place it was time for me to hit the hay and read. My current night time reading is "Keepers of the Light" and is all about the coastal lighthouses and their keepers.

About & Links