Around Vancouver Island 2013

Vessel Name: Reborn
Vessel Make/Model: 1952 Wood Ketch out of Orkney Islands
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, BC Canada
Crew: Moe and Laurie
Moe, the Skipper, has many years of sailing experience. He owned his first sailing dinghy when he was 15 and sailed with his friends around the Sunshine Coast of BC. Later he discovered windsurfing and devoted many years to his board. [...]
Extra: Reborn is a 42' fibre glass over wood ketch built in the Orkney islands in 1952. In her life time she has been redone enough times to carry her name with pride. Reborn has served as a pilot boat, a pleasure motor craft and now as a ketch.
21 August 2013 | Winter Cove to Nanaimo
21 August 2013 | Sidney Spit to Winter Cove, Saturna Island
21 August 2013 | Victoria to Sidney Spit
21 August 2013 | Sooke to Victoria
14 August 2013 | Bamfield to Sooke
13 August 2013 | Ucluelet and Ucluelet to Bamfield
06 August 2013 | Ucluelet
06 August 2013 | Joe's Bay to Ucluelet
06 August 2013 | Tofino to Joe's Bay
06 August 2013 | Tofino
02 August 2013 | Bacchante Bay to Tofino
02 August 2013 | Hot Springs Cove to Bacchante Bay
02 August 2013 | Friendly Cove to Hot Springs Cove
02 August 2013 | Bodega Cove to Friendly Cove
02 August 2013 | Tahsis to Bodega Cove, Kendrick Island
28 July 2013 | Dixie Cove to Tahsis
27 July 2013 | Walter's Cove to Dixie Cove, Hohoae Island
25 July 2013 | Bunsby Islands to Walter's Cove, Kyoquot
25 July 2013 | Columbia Cove to Bunsby Islands
24 July 2013 | Walter's Cove, Kyoquot
Recent Blog Posts
21 August 2013 | Winter Cove to Nanaimo

Day 39

Day 39 – August 29, 2013 Monday

21 August 2013 | Sidney Spit to Winter Cove, Saturna Island

Day 38

Day 38 – August 11, 2013 Sunday

21 August 2013 | Victoria to Sidney Spit

Day 37

Day 37 – August 10, 2013 Saturday

21 August 2013 | Sooke to Victoria

Day 36

Day 36 – August 9, 2013 Friday

14 August 2013 | Bamfield to Sooke

Day 35

Day 35 – August 8, 2013 Thursday

13 August 2013 | Ucluelet and Ucluelet to Bamfield

Day 33 and Day 34

Day 33 and Day 34, August 6 and 7, 2013 Tuesday and Wednesday

Day 22

27 July 2013 | Walter's Cove to Dixie Cove, Hohoae Island
Laurie / Sunny
Day 22 - July 26, 2013 Friday

The day started out slowly. I got up about 7:00. Of course, Moe had been up for some time already. When I crawled out of the wheelhouse, he was busy setting up the sheets for the spinnaker in the event we could do some light wind, downwind sailing. Sheets, for those who don't speak sailor language, are the lines that control the sails. The spinnaker is the very large and colourful sail that is flown in light wind.

I made some coffee and set about doing my journal. Soon the crew from `Marissa Ann`, who were rafted up to us, started stirring and we ended up having a great visit with them. While we were talking, along came Endurance! They rafted up to Porpoise. Unfortunately, we didn't get much chance to speak with them as we were preparing to leave.

I had a quick breakfast of Corn Flakes and my skipper chose to have a java. By 10:05 'Marissa Ann' had let loose from us and we had left the dock with about two feet to spare as we passed by 'TS Farley'. Moe, very expertly, threaded the needle of a tight exit from Walter's Cove on low tide. I never doubted for a moment that he could navigate this wee space. By 10:38 we were cruising through Nicolaye Channel which did have some rocks that had caused me concern as we planned our route out of Walter's Cove. Ha! This was like driving through a football field compared to the tight exit out of Walter's Cove. No need for me to worry.

Our trip to Dixie Cove on Hohoae Island in Kyoquot Sound was relatively uneventful. Our entertainment was provided by Transport Canada who kept hailing boats on the VHF who were in their view to ask their identification, what their cargo was, their last port and where they were going. We couldn't hear the responses, but each transmission ended with Kim (we had heard her identify herself to a boat she knew) telling everyone that it is illegal to discharge any pollutants into the water. We wondered if this was the same aircraft that had buzzed us as we left Columbia Cove a few days earlier.

At 11:40 we had the Rugged Point light on our starboard bow. This is a long sandy beach that many kayakers and surfers go to. We chose to bypass it for the time being and head straight to our destination. We did dip the fishing line into the water for awhile but only nothing more than a wet hook. No bites.

As we neared Dixie Cove, we spotted another boat leaving and learned it was 'Splendid Mane', a boat that we had seen first in Bull Harbour and then in Columbia Cove. We have yet to meet the crew officially. When we arrived in Dixie Cove the tide was quite low. Dixie Cove really has two coves, the outer and the inner. We wanted to go to the inner. We could see there was already a sailboat anchored there. We had seen them pass us as we transited Kyoquot Channel. We found our spot and dropped the anchor at 1:18. We had a restful afternoon to ourselves. I sun tanned and read. Moe did a few chores and then napped.

I did spy a lone sea otter at the end of the cove that I kept my eye on. Mostly he was just swimming and rolling. About the same time that Moe was napping, so was Mr Sea Otter. He simply lay on his back and floated with the light current in the water.

I serenaded the trees and ocean with my ukulele for awhile. I think I did my best interpretation of `Long Black Veil` by John Cash! Then it was time to get dinner on. Tonight is spaghetti and garlic toast night. Moe got up just as I was cooking. He noticed that `Porpoise` had anchored in the larger outside cove.

After dinner we went on a little putt around to check out the cove. The water here is amazingly clear and it isn`t as cold as one would expect. Not that I`m tempted to go swimming in it. It`s not that great. We toured around, passing by `Porpoise` on our way. As we passed the other boat that was anchored in the inner cove, we thought we might stop by to say hello. We did see a head pop up from the cabin, but it didn`t stay up long at all. We had seen no sign of life since the time we anchored and decided that this boat simply was not a friendly one so we continued on back to Reborn.

After I did the dishes, Moe cleaned out the stove. It does collect soot when it burns so needs regular maintenance. Soon after he found his way back into his bunk. I stayed up awhile and watched as Mr Sea Otter came home from doing his rounds. He was quite entertaining as he swam home, twirling himself in the water, scratching his head, nibbling his paws and, as it appeared, doing general personal hygiene. I made my way back to the galley to make some sandwiches for tomorrow. We anticipate a long day to Queens Cove in Esperanza Inlet. When I was putting the sandwiches away in the deck fridge I spotted Mr Sea Otter. He was laying on his back and appeared to be sound asleep. Good night, Mr Sea Otter!

About & Links