Across The Top

17 September 2014 | Bundaberg
23 August 2014
20 August 2014 | Laman Bay
13 August 2014 | Lolowai Lagoon
07 August 2014 | Espiritu Santo Island
03 August 2014 | Port Sandwich
31 July 2014 | Port Sandwich Malakula
25 July 2014
25 July 2014
22 July 2014 | South Pacific
17 July 2014 | South Pacific
14 July 2014
10 July 2014
06 July 2014
02 July 2014
25 June 2014
16 June 2014 | South Pacific
16 June 2014 | South Pacific
30 May 2014 | Bundaberg
11 May 2014

Epi Island

20 August 2014 | Laman Bay
Carol
20 th Aug 2014
The busy village of Lolowai Logoon had the binoculars in a tail spin, a barge arrived unloading many people and supplies given hand over hand to the waiting throng ashore. A little way up the beach another barge unloaded guests waving and delivering wares to god knows where beyond the jungle of trees to neighbouring villages. Ashore we found a very dark store selling bread, and a small market with a nice bunch of corn and a home made basket with capsicum. A NZ expat was on contract to an aide agency here helping rebuild a shop and residence, and he told us of his frustration to get the job done with limited helpers with skills. So we gave him some saws/sandpaper/shirts and hats, so that he may be able to offer them to the helpers and get the job done quicker! He was thrilled to bits but was unsure if it would make any difference to the speed. Well at least he had something to trade if he needed some nails! From there we slid out at high tide to make Maewo island to the East and got a really good feel for the 35-40 kt s/e trade wind blowing up the guts of Vanuatu! So we snuck along the jungle skyscraper Island of Maewo to the end, and arrived in Asanvari bay for shelter. Wow what a treat! A cascade of water falling next to the Sparkling Waters bar! So we booked for a fish and prawn dinner with the other yacht in the bay. We found out that we are the 3rd yacht for the season so we feel very privileged. On anchor Sam sat with the binoculars held almost swinging full circle on the anchor with the tide, well at least he did not get bored with the view!
Visiting the land dive tower at Pentacost was amazing, the guys dive from different hights until the last high tower at the top. It is a huge tourist draw card, its unfortunate that the dive site has been moved closer to the airport to accommodate the tourists! There was a ceremony of pig, fish and local vegies where we were presented with hand made baskets from the ladies before we were to have a hastily arranged race across to Ambrym Island from Pentacost. The 2 yachts were neck and neck all the way, it was great fun for us, but devastating for the village who were expecting many yachts to attend and had been preparing for weeks. The village had been sprung cleaned within an inch of its life. Chief Luke could not work out where all the yachts had gone, so we tried cheerfully to appreciate everything they had done. It was small consolation though to the villagers who lined the foreshore as we circled around and then sped off. We could not work out the finish line so in good sporting style we declared the race equal and settled with sundowners on the black sandy beach with Freddie and his family at Rannon Bay. Ambrym is known for its great wood carvers, and Sam and I managed more by good luck than anything to strike a deal on the beach with a local carver who had beautiful work of Blackbean hardwood in his backpack! We swapped some vatu, magnifying glasses, soap, saws and 2 boat ropes. By the look on his face, he felt he had the deal of the century, he could now tie up his cow that had kept wandering onto his vegie patch! From there we have dribbled on to Port Sandwich and currently we are in Laman bay Epi Island hoping to see the resident dugong so promised in the Lonely Planet. But I think he has gone on holidays!
From the overcast and humid deck,
Carol and Sam
Comments
Vessel Name: A Vos Sante
Vessel Make/Model: Perry 43 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Hamilton Island QLD Australia
Crew: Sam & Carol
About: Sam has been a passionate sailor all his life from a young nipper. His passion has taken him racing in many of the southern ocean races of Australia and now he likes to cruise in warmer climates. Carol is his crew/first/best mate and likes adventure, and living life in good company wherever it is.
Extra: "A Vos Sante" sailed from Brisbane to Airlie beach in 2008. She will spend the Cyclone season around Cairns in 2010 and plans to venture north in 2011 across to the Kimberleys.
A Vos Sante's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 23 August 2014
3 Photos
Created 13 August 2014
7 Photos
Created 7 August 2014
11 Photos
Created 3 August 2014
8 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
11 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
No Photos
Created 14 July 2014
7 Photos
Created 10 July 2014
11 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
13 Photos
Created 1 July 2014
11 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
15 Photos
Created 31 May 2013
50 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
64 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 2 June 2011
99 Photos
Created 20 April 2011
35 Photos
Created 9 November 2010
Cruising The Whitsundays
7 Photos
Created 24 September 2010
sailing north 2008
20 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 June 2010

Who: Sam & Carol
Port: Hamilton Island QLD Australia