Little Boat, Big Dreams

Now, only have Bristol 24 -- Sanderling.

08 July 2022
13 September 2021
11 May 2021
20 April 2019 | Reedville, VA
27 May 2018 | Reedville, VA
14 May 2018 | Reedville, VA
22 December 2017
10 December 2017 | Reedville, VA
03 December 2017
02 December 2017
01 December 2017 | Reedville, VA

Found the ODay Leak(s), Now what ???

01 December 2017 | Reedville, VA
Finally hauled it this week -- sitting at the dock, the bilge pump kicked in about ever 6-7 hours for 20 seconds; and, underway it is about every 2 hours and ten minutes for the same 20-seconds like clock-work, so the leak can't be ignored. I see a lot of commentary on the ODay bolt-on keels leaking, but this isn't one of them.

Two issues, one is the crack at the trailing edge of the keel near the hull/keel joint and the other is what appears to be seepage from within the keel at the very bottom (very slight, but where it shouldn't be after sitting on the hard for 72 hours). The yard manager at Jennings where I usually haul said it was probably caused at some earlier time by a Travel-lift operator setting it down carelessly -- since the keel looked almost new he didn't think it was from a grounding or anything. It is right at the root of the aft keel, but until the weight is taken off the keel when it is in the slings the 5"-6" crack is all but invisible, especially with bottom paint, but of course when the boat goes into the water it can "work" slightly or so he speculated... This is a 1979 model and not the bolt-on keel, so I'm guessing the manager is correct that the damage was done at a previous haul-out because the bottom and keel is otherwise pristine and shows no signs of grounding.

Although rather problematic, since it involves laying up overhead, I think the upper keel/hull crack is structurally manageable with the routine layups of glass and epoxy. I've seen somewhat similar "keel leaks" where the advice was to simply use flexible epoxy to "block-up the crack," but the area looks structural to me and that solution doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy... What I'm just a tad concerned is the seepage I'm seeing below and its possible ramifications, so that we will have to look at more closely. In any case, my thought is to let the whole thing dry out over the cool months and then attack the glass work in the spring...
Comments
Vessel Name: Sanderling
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol-24
Hailing Port: Colonial Beach, Virginia, USA
About:
C [...]
Extra: The skipper went out and found another Bristol 24 -- this one, Sanderling, is mechanically in better shape than Angels Wings, with newer rigging and motor, but still a small basic boat with no pretentions about high-society.