More things to Fret Over
23 May 2021
Well, in the process of inserting my geriatric bulk into the stern quarters of Sanctuary, I came face to face with yet another project that needs to be tackled before she goes back in the water.
I was scouting about, how to best reinforce the transom for the HydroVane attachment, when I realized I was staring right at the delaminated rudderpost tube support knees. This will take some doing, but clearly I'll need to get all the hoses out of the way, hopefully without totally disturbing the steering cable geometry.
I haven't totally figured out the attack yet; however, I did get enough marine plywood to accomplish the repair once I figure out the process. But the worrisome thing is, where did the water come from that must have settled around the knee in the first place -- did Sanctuary have another area that was leaking, it is beginning to appear so. Clearly this is a job for a professional; just as clearly the dollar value of the boat doesn't justify it... so, yet another learn-as-we-go DIY project... lots of 1708, epoxy and whatnot. Oh well, just another excuse for new tools and shop gizmos -- always a bit of a silver lining if you look for it (where's Sam Holmes when I need him... sigh).
On the lighter side, after a bit of discussion and a trip to measure the cabin-top dimensions and crown, I ordered a pair of mast-pulpits from a fabrication firm in Michigan -- more on this later.