Azulita Adventure

450S Lagoon

Vessel Name: Azulita
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 450S
Hailing Port: Cruz Bay, St. John
Recent Blog Posts
16 August 2017

Time of Contentment...and...

Have no fear, Ziggy is here still applies :-)

15 August 2017

On the Seas Again - Alboran Sea

And we're off again! Back to a beautiful day and perfect weather! For the moment anyway!! I think we are giving up on weather forecasts!! No matter how many we look at, they keep being wrong! The research does say that weather is very unpredictable in the Mediterranean West though, and that it can [...]

14 August 2017

A Little SNAFU

Smooth sailing all day yesterday...until about 9pm. Then the wind kicked up and up and up, along with the wave action. Around midnight, we decided it was time to look for potential shelter to ride out the weather. So off we went to find a marina along the Spanish coast at midnight that could fit a 14m [...]

13 August 2017

The Calm After the Storm

What a difference a day makes :-) !!!

12 August 2017

Part II - Straits of Gibraltar - Success!!

So far the wildest ride around a point we've had on this trip, and I think that goes down in history for both of us!! Confused seas, wind over tide, 32 knots coming around the point of Cape Trafalgar. I know when LOML says, here comes a big one, he isn't kidding!! Brace!!

12 August 2017

Part I of the Straits of Gibraltar Passage

We are so excited to be off!! Goodbye Portugal! It’s so good to be back at sea in the fresh air and sunshine!! Beautiful day so far, wind and seas are calm and the sun is shining πŸ˜ƒ Ziggy has the music going, fishing lines are in the water, and we are off! Couldn't be a more glorious day :-)

Part I of the Straits of Gibraltar Passage

12 August 2017
We are so excited to be off!! Goodbye Portugal! It’s so good to be back at sea in the fresh air and sunshine!! Beautiful day so far, wind and seas are calm and the sun is shining πŸ˜ƒ Ziggy has the music going, fishing lines are in the water, and we are off! Couldn't be a more glorious day :-)

Day turns into night at the perfect moment of passing Cape St Vincent as we round the southern most tip of Portugal and into the Algarve.



After a relatively calm night, has been a much more eventful day today :-) !!! High short seas all around, though wind only about 15 knots, gusting maybe 20.

B&G we've learned stands for broken gauges!! We've used an iPad and Navionics for charting most of our course and have the iPhone running 2 AIS apps to see the ships around us!! After waiting for a couple days in Cascais for a new plotter, they informed us they didn't ship it and sent a tech that said..."it's a warranty issue and it's August in Europe, so I suggest you keep going"!! So off we go, with an occasional plotter that works for either charting or radar!!

And then, the genoa... the roller furling line caught in the drum as the drum wasn't tight enough to hold the tension. But have no fear, Ziggy is here!! He climbed to the front and got a bit of a splash in the cold Atlantic, as the seas crashed upon him !! With some clever maneuvering between Captains Ziggy and LOML, they were able to set the line free, fix the drum and bring in the genoa.

And then!! Just as Ziggy got warm and clean with a hot shower, guess what??!!! We finally caught a fish!!! Woohoo!! All the fishy songs and dances finally worked!! A blue runner tuna :-)



Time to get dirty again ;-) !!



And to top it off, the weather has shifted on us !! So, in lieu of stopping for a night or two in Cadiz, we are heading for the Straits of Gibraltar tonight!! Sorry Jane and Michael, we were looking forward to a rendezvous tomorrow morning :-). But as sailors, we know you understand weather!! Thank you :-) and maybe we'll see you further along the journey!! :-)

Stay tuned...more to come!!
Comments
Azulita's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 6 August 2017

About & Links