Bagan Afloat

15 February 2015 | Rock Sound Harbour
12 January 2015
20 December 2014
04 December 2014 | 25 04.532'N:77 19.119'W
01 December 2014
23 November 2014 | Palm Beach Gardens/Fort Lauderdale
07 November 2014
30 October 2014
02 June 2014 | Palm Beach Gardens
01 June 2014 | 24 33.70'N:81 48.0'W
01 June 2014
23 February 2014
01 February 2014
01 February 2014
26 December 2013 | Panama
18 December 2013 | Panama

Boat Haul-out

02 June 2014 | Palm Beach Gardens
After a fun-filled, very busy week-long visit with Leia, Andrew, Ben and Luke, we started our tip up to Seminole Marina in Palm Beach Gardens to have some necessary maintenance work and repairs completed. We decided to go the outside route on the Atlantic Ocean as we would have had to pass under 27 bridges along the Intracoastal Waterway to get there. It would have taken us too long having to do so and the weather forecast for the outside was great. It was a beautiful sunny day with winds and seas forecast to be light and they were!

We re-entered the Intracoastal Waterway at the Lake Worth Inlet. It was Memorial Day Monday so there were many boats on the water. Heading past Peanut Island in very shallow water, we had to move very slowly to avoid paddleboarders, kayakers, local runabouts, coast guard and sheriff boats. Hundreds of boats were anchored at Peanut Island seemingly totally oblivious to traffic passing through on the Intracoastal - we had never seen anything like it. This was all happening IN the narrow, shallow Intercoastal Waterway. It was quite harrowing and we were happy to get out of it unscathed. We anchored for the night in Lake Worth which was lovely. Numerous other boats were there, but it was quiet, calm and well-protected.

We were scheduled for our haul-out at 10:30 am and were out of the water by 11:15. Technicians from Yacht Tech Services, run by the Nordhavn 'doctor', James Knight were there starting their examination of Bagan. We had requested a bottom paint and repair of any bottom damage, replacement or repair of the thru-hulls which were not closing properly and prop repair. After the technicians took a look at the engine room, we were told that Bagan was in good shape and did not need other work. Kudos to Ken for being so meticulous and taking care of the engine room so well. Updates coming in today inform us that we will be back in the water on Wednesday afternoon.

Because the shipyard did not allow liveaboards, we rented a small cottage 20 minutes south of the boatyard and rented a car. We too had small projects to complete, but also spent a lot of time (and money) driving to various locations to purchase items needing replacement. Lines were beginning to look tired so they were replaced. With the hurricane season upon us we wanted to ensure that all lines were in good shape. Several trips to 'Total Wine' also restocked necessary wine supplies! The paint job on Bagan was completed today and she looks very pretty again. The props from the thrusters and main engines will be replaced tomorrow and coated with 'prop speed' to inhibit growth. It is all looking good!

Our plan now is to head north on the Intracoastal Waterway starting Thursday morning. We hope to be in Brunswick, Georgia by mid June as we plan to make stops in St. Augustine and Jacksonville. From Jacksonville, we plan to head back into the Atlantic for a day's run to Fernandina and then another Atlantic day run to Brunswick. The Intracoastal Waterway from Jacksonville to Brunswick is reported to be quite shallow and not maintained as well. Perhaps local knowledge will tell us otherwise when we get there, but we have also learned that local knowledge is not always dependable. We will see when we get there and see what the weather forecasts are.

Stay tuned!
Comments
Vessel Name: Bagan
Vessel Make/Model: Nordhavn 57
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Crew: Ken and Karin Fraser
About:
Ken has been a sailor for 50 years and switched to power when Bagan was purchased in 2011. Karin has been sailing with Ken for almost 40 years. [...]

About Us

Who: Ken and Karin Fraser
Port: Vancouver