Baltic Amber II

06 August 2014 | CONCARNEAU
01 August 2014 | Sailing Home
29 July 2014
28 July 2014 | Pornichet
27 July 2014 | PORNICHET
26 July 2014 | PORNICHET
17 July 2014 | Quiberon Peninsular
10 July 2014 | L'ORIENT, BRITTANY
08 July 2014 | BRITTANY FRANCE!
02 July 2014 | Concarneau
01 July 2014 | BENODET
27 June 2014 | South Finistere
23 June 2014 | South Brittany
22 June 2014 | France
19 June 2014 | France
17 June 2014 | France
13 June 2014 | Falmouth
07 June 2014 | Plymouth, UK
03 May 2014 | Plymouth Sound
20 April 2014 | Plymouth Yacht Haven Marina

ANOTHER DESTINATION

10 July 2014 | L'ORIENT, BRITTANY
GALLEY SLAVE, WARM AND WINDY
We are now in L'Orient at a new marina after a spanking sail further down the coast on this journey we are undertaking. We were up with the sparrows, missed the 'lovely, not' trawler men of Concarneau although we heard them and rolled with each of them from 1.30am until the last one motored past at 3.30am! We managed to get a little shut eye until Grahams alarm woke us up at 6.30 am (oh my god thats early!). We were ready and on our way by 7.30am and were hoping to do some sailing and for the weather to be breezy but not gusting; we were lucky and got exactly what the skipper had asked for. although at one point the Galley slave was a bit concerned, cos if she had had a glass of vino in her hand it would have gone in the oggin'! Anyway the Skipper decided that he had reached 8 knots and it would be prudent of him to put the foresail away and we would just use the main for a bit, and the miles just seemed to slip by. We were passed by a very big sailing/racing yacht and the Skipper decided it was time to turn her round into the wind and put away the sails and motor into the estuary.

As Lorient is a very big racing/sailing as ferry port we needed all our wits about us. We had talked about which marina to go into - Kerneval (the first one we came across) or go into the centre of the town where the marina is in the actual centre....well we chickened out as the spaces for visitors was a dream for us novices. In we got sweet as a nut, facilities good (John please note a 3 for these) they are everyone all in together for the loos but separate shower rooms and the showers are very hot but keep pushing the button, and no time limit.

Anyway today (Thursday) after a very peaceful nights sleep with no trawler men to disturb our beauty sleep (and boy do we need that) a lazy breakfast and off the Lorient on the bus. Only 1€35 per trip and if you catch another bus within the hour you can use the same ticket and not pay again....how marvellous. We walked to the Tourist Office and the marina and decided that we had made the right decision after all. Ferries go in and out of the same marina and there are no pontoons only rafting up.

Tomorrow we are going to see the submarine pens which are directly opposite the marina but on the other side of the water, so a bus is in order although bikes are available at no cost for an hour or two, and the Eric Tarberly Museum, so more later.
Comments
Vessel Name: Baltic Amber
Vessel Make/Model: Najad 391
Hailing Port: Plymouth
Crew: Graham & Lesley Chubb
About: Recently retired and about to "live the dream"
Extra: Currently in Plymouth getting the boat ready for long term cruising. We plan to leave in the Spring of 2014. Now going in June 2014, only to return on September for two weeks for our Sons wedding!

BALTIC AMBER II

Who: Graham & Lesley Chubb
Port: Plymouth