The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!
23 March 2021 | Cole Harbour NS
30 May 2019 | Catamaran Marina
20 May 2019 | Shallow Sandbar by Livingston, Guatemala
18 May 2019 | Tres Puntas, Guatemala
14 May 2019 | Isla Guanaja to Isla Utila
11 May 2019 | Grand Cayman to Isla de Guanaja, Honduras
03 May 2019 | Grand Cayman
25 April 2019 | Errol Flyn Marina, Port Antonio, Jamaica
18 April 2019 | Matthewtown, Great Inagua, Bahamas
14 April 2019 | Clarencetown, Long Island, Bahamas
10 April 2019 | To New Horizons... and Beyond!
05 April 2019 | Exumas, Bahamas
02 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Cat Island, Bahamas
07 February 2019 | Cambridge Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
25 August 2018 | Halifax, NS
28 November 2017 | Somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean

Does Mustique have a Mystique?

22 September 2014 | Brittania Bay, Mustique
Alex,
You truly never know what might suddenly appear and photo-bomb the perfectly posed shot of an idyllic beachfront on the mysterious island of Mustique.

*****

Slick, from Mustique Moorings, dinghied over to our boat to welcome us to The Island.

"The fee is $200EC for one night" he explained. "But you can stay two more nights for free. You can drop your garbage off in the bins at the end of the dock, and we're the only island that recycles" he offered by way of explanation.

"Are there any restrictions at the moment?" Dave asked.

"It's low season now" replied Slick with a smile. Which means we were free to come and go as we pleased, and as there was no royalty around our cameras would not be hijacked the minute we stepped foot ashore.

"Everything's closed" continued Slick. "Basil's Bar is closed. You can eat at the local restaurant, The View, the white house up on the hill over there,



but they're closed today. There was a party last night and they're all tired and cleaning up today. You can also go to the Firefly, 5 minutes walk up that hill" he pointed up-that-a-way.

He handed us the receipt, and said "Enjoy your stay".

When Spanish sailors first sighted these small rocky islands they called them "Los Pájaros" (the birds) as they looked like a small flock of birds in flight. It was in the 17th century that the pirates, who used the sheltered bays to hide their treasure, renamed these islands The Grenadines.



"In 1958, Colin Tennant purchased Mustique. In 1960, Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon, the sister of Queen Elizabeth II, accepted as a wedding present his gift of a 10-acre (40,000 m2) plot of land, where she built a residence called Les Jolies Eaux. In 1979, Mustique Island was transformed from a family estate into a private limited company with the homeowners as shareholders".

The Island is owned by the Mustique Company (which is owned by the island's home owners) and home to 100 villas, all available for rent.

Today villa homeowners include the likes of Shania Twain (whose house is currently up for sale), Mick Jagger, Tommy Hilfiger to name but a few...

It wouldn't be an island without dangerous and perilous reefs now would it and in 1971, the SS Antilles struck a reef (on the Northern Tip of the Island) while attempting to navigate Lansecoy Bay, the impact rupturing a gas tank and starting a fire. Everyone was evacuated, and the ship sank.

"The burnt out hulk could not be freed from the reef, so the ship lay there for several months, eventually breaking in half. Many years later she would be scrapped on the spot and moved just a few hundred yards to her final resting place in the channel offshore Lansecoy Bay".

The wreck site is submerged off Mustique and is barely visible on Google Earth at 12°54' 04" N, 61°10' 44" W; the mast protrudes from the water during low tide."


This is some of the history behind Mustique, and hereunder is our photo-journey along the main road on this sunny beautiful morning, in an attempt to find just what the Mystique is all about.



The place was indeed deserted, and only the crabs on the white sandy beaches were around to greet us.



We made a sharp left turn and followed the one and only road down towards Basil's Bar, which was, as Slick had mentioned, closed and being renovated.



The well manicured landscape before our eyes was truly, in the morning sunshine, picture perfect,



everywhere we looked,



but let's not forget to pose for some fun, right?



We stopped to visit the store,



that held some pricey bottles of wine and knick-knacks that, dommage, wouldn't fit on a boat, and double dommage, Sweetie Pie, the bakery was also closed for a month, from mid-September to mid-October, so no Croissants au Chocolat for us.

We continued on,



giving the stairs a pass and choosing to stay on the road instead. Locals driving by offered us a lift, and just smiled when we thanked them and told them we would keep on walking... we needed the exercise!



At the top of the hill, we made some friends with the tortoises,



up close and personal,



and walked through the village of Lovell, the shacks on precarious stilts overlooking the lovely bay. Mustique has a population of about 500 local residents.

It was too early for the local restaurant, The View to serve us up some brunch, however the owner did invite us in... It was only 10:00 and we declined with promises to be back later, we had more walking to do.

Whad'y'aknow, the fruit and veggie stand is closed for the month as well,



and beyond, the fishermen were busy repairing their nets,



and the beachfront waters mesmerizingly clear as the slow and gentle surf washed over the sands.



We noticed recycling bins everywhere. We noticed barely noticeable entrances to driveways marked with "private, no trespassing" signs. We didn't have eyeviews of any outlandish villas, there were all perfectly hidden amidst the green leaf foliage.

Back down by the dinghy dock, we chose to keep on walking the other way and explore the beachfront,



that lies just in front of our home, trying to snap the perfect shot of the herons that were fishing along the shore,



and bend the trees a little more, why not?



Time to go back, and this time we turned inland and followed the sinewy road straight uphill, and sure enough, a very hot and sweaty 5 minutes later had us reaching the side street that led us to the privately owned entrance to The Firefly

The bartender invited us in, and said with a smile, "don't mind the construction", the building of some new rooms and a porch-patio overlooking the Bay.

Dave enjoyed a local beer ($15EC),



and although the various Mustique Cocktails sounded quite enticing ($40EC), it was way too early and I opted for some ice cold water instead.

We breathed in the lovely views and enjoyed the breezes coming across the open doors in posh surroundings chatting with the bartender and the workers. There is a current half price special on the rooms, only $500US per night if you were willing to put up with 7 a.m. construction noise.

Does this mean I belong to the Champagne Club ??



And so, if but for a moment, we were hob-knobbing it like the wealthy, rich and perhaps even famous peeps who come here for some time away in idyllic surroundings. The bartender confirmed that during peak business times, there be only standing room here.



He confirmed that they receive a list of guests on the island so they can prep and prepare in advance.

"And who owns that white villa on the top of the island there?" I asked, to which he respectfully provided a name, a "Mr So and So... He's into kitchens".

We smiled and nodded our heads... indeed, somehow, somewhere we strayed from the kitchen employment path that might have had us owning a villa here.

It was lunchtime and we were hungry, so it was time to head back down to the shore and dinghy home.



A home where for the moment we share the same views, in the same sparkling clear waters, and sometimes even sit in the same bar stools and couches, as might the rich and famous.

Dave BBQ'd us some Bubba Burgers nestled on toasted English Muffin buns and I served it up with Crispy Sweet Potato Patates Frites with Curried Mayo. Don't matter how you say it, it was delicious.

Below us in the crystal clear waters, we watched the schools of Blue Tangs and Sergeant Major fish swim aimlessly by, and knew that they didn't quite care what kind of wealth the people that walked above, had.
Comments
Vessel Name: Banyan
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 40 Sun Odyssey
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: David & Alexandra
About:
Welcome Aboard. I'm Alexandra, and if I'm not out Adventuring with Camera in Hand, or cheffing up a storm in my galley, I'm looking to pirate some WiFi to upload our latest tales (with way too many photos) about our most recent adventures. [...]
Extra: CHART YOUR COURSE: Our destiny is shaped by our thoughts and actions. We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails.
Social:
Banyan's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 117 of 117
1
 
1
2 Photos
Created 13 March 2021
52 Photos
Created 30 May 2020
26 Photos
Created 27 May 2020
27 Photos
Created 9 June 2019
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2019
25 Photos
Created 26 May 2019
24 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
38 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
20 Photos
Created 3 May 2019
15 Photos
Created 25 April 2019
50 Photos
Created 10 April 2019
23 Photos
Created 5 April 2019
21 Photos
Created 2 March 2019
17 Photos
Created 7 February 2019
41 Photos
Created 25 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 28 January 2018
72 Photos
Created 4 January 2018
26 Photos
Created 20 October 2017
27 Photos
Created 1 September 2017
No Photos
Created 29 June 2017
94 Photos
Created 9 June 2017
1 Photo
Created 15 May 2017
41 Photos
Created 4 March 2017
36 Photos
Created 3 February 2017
32 Photos
Created 27 January 2017
21 Photos
Created 9 January 2017
51 Photos
Created 27 November 2016
13 Photos
Created 24 October 2016
54 Photos
Created 6 June 2016
122 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
192 Photos
Created 4 February 2016
80 Photos
Created 6 January 2016
14 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
15 Photos
Created 5 November 2015
135 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
3 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
154 Photos
Created 17 September 2015
55 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
39 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
118 Photos
Created 3 April 2015
23 Photos
Created 12 March 2015
87 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
114 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
55 Photos
Created 4 December 2014
103 Photos
Created 6 November 2014
84 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
114 Photos
Created 2 September 2014
55 Photos
Created 19 August 2014
49 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
107 Photos
Created 11 June 2014
104 Photos
Created 7 June 2014
88 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
120 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
106 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
100 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
75 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
127 Photos
Created 2 March 2014
24 Photos
Created 1 March 2014
26 Photos
Created 28 January 2014
110 Photos
Created 25 January 2014
107 Photos
Created 10 January 2014
106 Photos
Created 23 December 2013
117 Photos
Created 7 December 2013
93 Photos
Created 8 November 2013
39 Photos
Created 22 October 2013
117 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
65 Photos
Created 14 September 2013
31 Photos
Created 14 July 2013
96 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
100 Photos
Created 10 June 2013
104 Photos
Created 30 May 2013
115 Photos
Created 19 May 2013
98 Photos
Created 8 May 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 April 2013
106 Photos
Created 21 April 2013
12 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
31 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
114 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
107 Photos
Created 16 March 2013
99 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
57 Photos
Created 8 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 3 December 2012
125 Photos
Created 17 November 2012
44 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
77 Photos
Created 9 November 2012
98 Photos
Created 27 October 2012
123 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
119 Photos
Created 4 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 2 September 2012
No Photos
Created 2 September 2012
39 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
48 Photos
Created 16 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
128 Photos
Created 1 August 2012
102 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
3 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
10 Photos
Created 19 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
5 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
6 Photos
Created 24 June 2010
18 Photos
Created 18 February 2010
9 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
8 Photos
Created 24 September 2009
22 Photos
Created 7 September 2009
10 Photos
Created 31 August 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 11 August 2009
Photos from the first ever sailing Regatta to raise money for Breast Cancer research
12 Photos
Created 12 July 2009
Photos from our cruise on Mahone Bay.
13 Photos
Created 9 July 2009
Our baby
7 Photos
Created 3 July 2009

The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!