The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!
23 March 2021 | Cole Harbour NS
30 May 2019 | Catamaran Marina
20 May 2019 | Shallow Sandbar by Livingston, Guatemala
18 May 2019 | Tres Puntas, Guatemala
14 May 2019 | Isla Guanaja to Isla Utila
11 May 2019 | Grand Cayman to Isla de Guanaja, Honduras
03 May 2019 | Grand Cayman
25 April 2019 | Errol Flyn Marina, Port Antonio, Jamaica
18 April 2019 | Matthewtown, Great Inagua, Bahamas
14 April 2019 | Clarencetown, Long Island, Bahamas
10 April 2019 | To New Horizons... and Beyond!
05 April 2019 | Exumas, Bahamas
02 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Cat Island, Bahamas
07 February 2019 | Cambridge Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
25 August 2018 | Halifax, NS
28 November 2017 | Somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean

An Invitation to Distant Shores

26 October 2017
Have you heard of Distant Shores?

There are, of course, the distant shores that we all long to escape to. The distant shores of our dreams are the goal as we're hatching and planning and executing the Living the Dream type of lifestyle that we all dream about doing.

But I'm talking about THE Distant Shores. As in the SV Distant Shores. As in the Shards: Paul & Sheryl. Perhaps you've been to one of their seminars at the numerous international Boat Shows they speak at? Perhaps you've seen theirs TV Show "Distant Shores"? Perhaps you've liked their Facebook Page , or Instagram (@distantshorestv) or subscribed to their webpage, blog and newsletter?. Perhaps you YouTube their Vlogs?

Dave and I used to watch their TV show many many moons ago, when we still had a TV and access to Cable. Back when we were still *thinking* about making this dream we had a reality. Of exploring the world with a boat that we would call home. We watched their informative, well filmed & well researched shows with captive interest, drooling at the distant shores they were visiting, captivated by it all. Inspired by them.

We watched & we learned and we dreamt how we would be so lucky as to one day be doing just like them.

When Dave retired, I kept on working. Traffic being what it was I knew that if I left at ten minutes to the hour, I would make it to work well ahead of 7:30 start time avoiding any frustrating lengthy pileups, and able to enjoy my coffee before the start of the work day. But if I left ten minutes after the hour, the roads would have me delayed, stuck behind too many cars at too many red lights.

You know what happened right? Their episodes aired at 7 a.m., just as I would be primping the last double check of my dress in the mirror behind the door.

"Look at this place... " or "Oh Wow Dear, watch how..." Dave would say as he handed me my coffee. Invariably I would stop. And inevitably I would sit down, and finish my coffee as I watched the show which would make me stuck in traffic. Not to mention late for work.

We met Paul & Sheryl in the British Virgin Islands on the 10th of April 2013. You can read all about it HERE

We were thrilled to appear in their newsletter And excited to celebrate the Sint Maarten Carnival with them.



While our respective travels didn't allow for long periods of time together, we made sure we connected as many times as we could, whenever we could, wherever we could.



Welcoming them home to Distant Shores with a bit of a Banyan onboard SV Banyan



where I obviously didn't get the memo to wear blue!

We celebrated Paul's Birthday with Cake delivered by Deliverance at Peter Island and then hiked all those calories away. We muled them some boat parts when we found out we would be in the same place at the same time. We've met in quiet idyllic anchorages and chaotic busy places, like the Annapolis Boat Show last year.



We share a love of travel and sailing, cooking and chatting and Sunday dinners. And we were thrilled when they invited us and our new RV to their beautiful house on the Lake last year.



We've truly enjoyed building our friendship across the many distant shores where we've enjoyed reunions with them on.

A couple of months ago we were just going about our business as usual. The day being what it was, we got to bed a little too late, and checked our inbox well after midnight, *just cause*. And almost weren't going to read the email with their name on it. Because we thought it was *just* their newsletter and would be better enjoyed over coffee the next morning. But for whatever reasons we do what we do, the Capt'N clicked it open, and started reading.

He gasped. And then he gasped a second time, a little louder and for effect as he nudged me out of my Sleepy Candy Crush game.

"Read this..." he said.

And then we both lay in bed, eyes wide open, fully awake and hearts thumping, all night long.

The Email was an invitation. Asking us if we wanted to help them deliver a Discovery/BlueWater Catamaran from the Canary Islands to Saint Lucia. A transatlantic passage on a luxurious 50 foot Catamaran.

The Capt'N was totally IN. He's crossed the Atlantic, but I figure that crossing a big blue ocean several times on a few military-grey coloured, 400+ foot Naval Destroyers, doesn't really count, does it? As many of you might know, I had no immmediate desire to cross an ocean on my boat that is my home, preferring instead to spend the last four seasons exploring the length and width and breadth of the Caribbean Islands.

Perhaps some time in the future? What's the rush? Right?

This invitation was exhilarating and as much as I wouldn't admit it to anyone I was immediately IN. And then I thought about it, and was nervously IN. And then I thought about the REALITY of it, and was still, surprisingly IN.

Because I *knew* that this would be one of those life events that I would regret if I didn't do! So we emailed our Paul & Sheryl with the reply: Aye, Aye. Count us IN.

Which is totally what changed our plans as we were RV'ing across Canada, heading towards Winkler and the LTV Rally, the only fixed event on our schedule. Which is how we ended up storing the MoHo in Las Vegas and flying home to Halifax for the Capt'N's routine medical appt, somehow perfectly and fortuitously timed to fit in with the start of this Epic Adventure.

The flights were getting more expensive as each day passed. And we waited for confirmation of the boats shakedown cruise where all went well. And then one evening, out of excitement and boredom, the Capt'N Googled then Googled some more. And found a flight from Halifax to Ireland for barely $200 each. And once in Europe, flights are a pittance, so after a few days in Dublin, we booked a flight to London. And then another one to Barcelona. Which is our Wee Adventure before the Epic Adventure. A week's worth of Adventuring for what would've been the total cost of a flight for two direct to the Canaries. Well done Google & the Capt'n for all that keyboard research.

And then we join Paul and Sheryl in the Canaries. And we meet the other two crew-mates, Dan and Craig of CruisingOffDuty.

We shall learn the boat, practice sailing her, provision her and then hoist the sails. For Saint Lucia. And that's THE Epic adventure.

Talk about some serious distant-shore-ing, eh?

Thank you Paul & Sheryl for The Invite. Thank you Distant Shores for the Continuous Inspiration.
Comments
Vessel Name: Banyan
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 40 Sun Odyssey
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: David & Alexandra
About:
Welcome Aboard. I'm Alexandra, and if I'm not out Adventuring with Camera in Hand, or cheffing up a storm in my galley, I'm looking to pirate some WiFi to upload our latest tales (with way too many photos) about our most recent adventures. [...]
Extra: CHART YOUR COURSE: Our destiny is shaped by our thoughts and actions. We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails.
Social:
Banyan's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 117 of 117
1
 
1
2 Photos
Created 13 March 2021
52 Photos
Created 30 May 2020
26 Photos
Created 27 May 2020
27 Photos
Created 9 June 2019
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2019
25 Photos
Created 26 May 2019
24 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
38 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
20 Photos
Created 3 May 2019
15 Photos
Created 25 April 2019
50 Photos
Created 10 April 2019
23 Photos
Created 5 April 2019
21 Photos
Created 2 March 2019
17 Photos
Created 7 February 2019
41 Photos
Created 25 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 28 January 2018
72 Photos
Created 4 January 2018
26 Photos
Created 20 October 2017
27 Photos
Created 1 September 2017
No Photos
Created 29 June 2017
94 Photos
Created 9 June 2017
1 Photo
Created 15 May 2017
41 Photos
Created 4 March 2017
36 Photos
Created 3 February 2017
32 Photos
Created 27 January 2017
21 Photos
Created 9 January 2017
51 Photos
Created 27 November 2016
13 Photos
Created 24 October 2016
54 Photos
Created 6 June 2016
122 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
192 Photos
Created 4 February 2016
80 Photos
Created 6 January 2016
14 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
15 Photos
Created 5 November 2015
135 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
3 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
154 Photos
Created 17 September 2015
55 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
39 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
118 Photos
Created 3 April 2015
23 Photos
Created 12 March 2015
87 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
114 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
55 Photos
Created 4 December 2014
103 Photos
Created 6 November 2014
84 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
114 Photos
Created 2 September 2014
55 Photos
Created 19 August 2014
49 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
107 Photos
Created 11 June 2014
104 Photos
Created 7 June 2014
88 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
120 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
106 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
100 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
75 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
127 Photos
Created 2 March 2014
24 Photos
Created 1 March 2014
26 Photos
Created 28 January 2014
110 Photos
Created 25 January 2014
107 Photos
Created 10 January 2014
106 Photos
Created 23 December 2013
117 Photos
Created 7 December 2013
93 Photos
Created 8 November 2013
39 Photos
Created 22 October 2013
117 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
65 Photos
Created 14 September 2013
31 Photos
Created 14 July 2013
96 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
100 Photos
Created 10 June 2013
104 Photos
Created 30 May 2013
115 Photos
Created 19 May 2013
98 Photos
Created 8 May 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 April 2013
106 Photos
Created 21 April 2013
12 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
31 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
114 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
107 Photos
Created 16 March 2013
99 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
57 Photos
Created 8 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 3 December 2012
125 Photos
Created 17 November 2012
44 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
77 Photos
Created 9 November 2012
98 Photos
Created 27 October 2012
123 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
119 Photos
Created 4 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 2 September 2012
No Photos
Created 2 September 2012
39 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
48 Photos
Created 16 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
128 Photos
Created 1 August 2012
102 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
3 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
10 Photos
Created 19 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
5 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
6 Photos
Created 24 June 2010
18 Photos
Created 18 February 2010
9 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
8 Photos
Created 24 September 2009
22 Photos
Created 7 September 2009
10 Photos
Created 31 August 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 11 August 2009
Photos from the first ever sailing Regatta to raise money for Breast Cancer research
12 Photos
Created 12 July 2009
Photos from our cruise on Mahone Bay.
13 Photos
Created 9 July 2009
Our baby
7 Photos
Created 3 July 2009

The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!