Barracuda's Blog

The adventures of Kate and Graham and their OVNI 395

23 November 2023 | Bonny Scotland.
19 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania
18 November 2023 | Orford, Tasmania
17 November 2023 | Bichenot, Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
13 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania,Australia
12 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
11 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
07 November 2023 | Sydney, Australia
07 November 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
31 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
25 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
18 October 2023 | Noumea, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
11 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Kuto Baie, Ille des Pines, NC.

Nice to be legal

02 January 2018 | Grand Anse D’Arlet, Martinique
We managed to check in today, so are feeling better that we are now legal. The process here is very simple. You fill in an online form in the internet café and the lady at the desk prints it and stamps it – job done. I guess the French are not too worried about the comings and goings out here.

Today we moved the arduous mile north to the next bay – just for a change of scenery really. This bay is much more popular with the boatie peeps than the last for some reason – probably due to the lack of swell – and the anchorage is very crowded, and lots of swimmers in the water. It looks like there are some nice low-key restaurants ashore, so we may go in for supper tonight. It also looks quite busy with all the onshore French holiday peeps. So we will see…

One notable difference between Martinique and everywhere else we have been is there are no ‘boat boys’. For those not familiar with this I’ll explain a bit. ‘Boat boys’ are the vendors who will generally try to get to you fairly quickly in a brightly coloured boat to sell you something – it could be a mooring, fruit, fish, etc… They have a bit of a reputation for being aggressive and so we were a bit nervous about our initial encounters. I’m sure that we have many more to meet and our views may evolve, but for now we will sing the praises of the ‘boat boys’. They are basically local lads and lassies making a living by bringing services to the yachties – often in very out of the way places. The best advice we were given was just listen to their pitch, be polite and if you want to do business great, else part on good terms. In our various encounters we met some lovely hard working people providing a good service, usually with interesting names like ’Daddy Boy’ or ‘Daffodil’ or ‘Didi’; they were polite to us, always fended their boats well whilst coming alongside us, and brought us things we generally needed and were not pushy (with one exception). Services available from them have included fresh bread to your boat, fresh fish, live lobster, ice, water taxi, fruit, moorings, diesel, water, laundry, BBQ ashore, taking away your garbage…. and the list goes on. But basically it’s all stuff you need on boats, that would take some effort to get otherwise. Their prices might be a little above what you might pay onshore but then again they are bringing the items to you in their boat. Our experience to date has been great – they have been fun to meet and have brought us things we wanted. They have been a real plus in the locations we have visited – perhaps with one exception where we ended up with a surplus of fruit as we were keeping both vendors happy – but then again the fruit was delicious and we did eat it, contributing to our ‘5 a day’. This is how they make their living and we can also see the ‘boat boy’ community working together to improve security – if the yachties don’t come because of a security incident, then it’s their livelihoods at stake. So let’s hear it for the ‘boat boys’. Thanks for supporting us in our travels.
Comments
Vessel Name: Barracuda of Islay
Vessel Make/Model: OVNI 395
Crew: Graham and Kate
About: Learning as we go
Extra: One day at a time
Barracuda of Islay's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
19 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2024
Some shots from our tour of Northland, North Island New Zealand - Dec 22.
37 Photos
Created 4 December 2022
41 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Starting in the Chesapeake, down the ICW to the Bahamas and onto Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
24 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Barracuda's trip from Scotland to Europe, the Canaries, and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean followed by a trip up to the Bahamas and on to the USA East coast.
26 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
81 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
60 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
a pre-retirement holiday
19 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
some shots from our lovely trip around the Aegean with Ailie
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
2 great weeks with Steve and Bibi Rainey.
11 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
A long weekend with Catherine and David.
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda, K & G head south to a new home.
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda does the Western Isles of Scotland.
12 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Kate and Graham Chillin'
7 Photos
Created 18 July 2014

Previous | List | Random | Next