Barracuda's Blog

The adventures of Kate and Graham and their OVNI 395

23 November 2023 | Bonny Scotland.
19 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania
18 November 2023 | Orford, Tasmania
17 November 2023 | Bichenot, Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
13 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania,Australia
12 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
11 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
07 November 2023 | Sydney, Australia
07 November 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
31 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
25 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
18 October 2023 | Noumea, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
11 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Kuto Baie, Ille des Pines, NC.

Out and about in Dominica

11 January 2018 | Portsmouth, Prince Rupert Bay, Dominica
We have now enjoyed a couple of days of getting out and about in Dominica. On Tuesday afternoon we took a boat trip up the Indian River with one of the PAYS guides, Avin (son of PAYS guide Albert).

Avin rowed us up-river, among the herons, the egrets, the pelicans and the iguanas (engines are not allowed). This gave us some up close insights to the effects of a category 5+ hurricane. At a distance from the shore you see quite a lot of broken and downed trees but there appears to be a fair covering of greenery. What we now learn is that in many places the entire upper canopy of the rain forest has been snapped off; this time last year we would have been travelling through a tunnel of treetops, but now there's clear sky. After the hurricanes came through, the forest was just broken brown tree stumps, all stripped completely bare of branches and leaves. What is left is showing amazing resilience, and is re-growing at pace - especially the creepers, the palms and the mangroves. It is so fertile here. Many of the seedlings on the ground now have enough light that they can really get going, and positive-thinking Avin says that with the thinning of the forest everything should grow back stronger than before.

Everywhere along the banks you see the signs of chainsaws at work; it was a few weeks' work to clear the river of tree trunks and debris, and what a challenge that was in this environment. Even now we were having to scrape our way round fallen branches in the stream. There is a well-known hang-out called the Bush Bar part-way up river, where it is traditional to stop and enjoy life, but for now it is closed (re-opening shortly!) - there is nothing at the bar but three empty stools, a Bob Marley LP cover and a skull.

It will be some years before the Indian River is how it was, but for now you get to enjoy it with more sunlight than before. The Indian River was used, along with various other locations here, for filming of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Yesterday (Wednesday) we did a full day trip of the island with guide Paul. It was good to see - still very beautiful but so much natural destruction. Many houses without roofs, most villages without power, trees down everywhere, metal roofing sheet scattered to the winds - and all this after a lot of clean-up has been done already. Yet the lovely Dominican people are getting on with rebuilding their island and getting their tourist industry back on track. They are growing what they can and planting things that can grow quickly, such as tomatoes and salads. It will take a while but they will get there. They seem to be very happy to have yachties coming in and we are very happy to support them. We have been trying to see if there is something specific we can support but it seems that coming here, taking trips, using their bars and restaurants and generally supporting their vendors is a major part of helping them get back on track to re-building their future.
Comments
Vessel Name: Barracuda of Islay
Vessel Make/Model: OVNI 395
Crew: Graham and Kate
About: Learning as we go
Extra: One day at a time
Barracuda of Islay's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
19 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2024
Some shots from our tour of Northland, North Island New Zealand - Dec 22.
37 Photos
Created 4 December 2022
41 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Starting in the Chesapeake, down the ICW to the Bahamas and onto Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
24 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Barracuda's trip from Scotland to Europe, the Canaries, and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean followed by a trip up to the Bahamas and on to the USA East coast.
26 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
81 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
60 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
a pre-retirement holiday
19 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
some shots from our lovely trip around the Aegean with Ailie
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
2 great weeks with Steve and Bibi Rainey.
11 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
A long weekend with Catherine and David.
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda, K & G head south to a new home.
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda does the Western Isles of Scotland.
12 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Kate and Graham Chillin'
7 Photos
Created 18 July 2014

Previous | List | Random | Next