Thunderbolts & lightening, very very frightening, me, galileo, galileo .....
11 May 2018 | Mathew, East River, VA, USA
Well. The Bruce has done sterling work, so we are very glad indeed that we made the change yesterday. Having anchored at 4pm in brilliant sunshine (so brilliant that needed the bimini for shade), half an hour later the sky grew dark, the clouds massed and within five minutes the wind increased from 3 kts up to the 30s and 40s and thunder rolled in, accompanied by drenching rain - luckily the wind dropped again very quickly. Quite a terrific storm, with lightning too close for our liking, which didn't die down for several hours. Electronics all unplugged, phones and laptops in the oven, and fingers crossed. We were slightly comforted by the fact that we are surrounded by trees which are significantly taller than our mast. Despite the top wind speed of 41kts, the Bruce held and we didn't shift an inch.
But after all that drama, we ended up with a flat calm night, cool air, and a lovely sunlit morning to light up the spotless decks. Once again we are settled in a glorious part of the Chesapeake with move lovely houses and a million crab pots. Still waiting to find the crab shack!
We took the dinghy into look around Mathew only to find that this was not possible at low water. Guppy was firmly stuck in the mud. So we retreated to Barracuda for a couple of hours and let the tide come in whilst we stripped & greased our winches. Once the tide was up we headed into Mathew and negotiated the drainage ditch at the end of the creek to reach a landing place. Mathew is a lovely little town full of antique shops. Trying to decide if we stay for dinner but don't want to be left high and dry in the mud as the tide retreats. Will tell you how that goes tomorrow.