Barracuda's Blog

The adventures of Kate and Graham and their OVNI 395

23 November 2023 | Bonny Scotland.
19 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania
18 November 2023 | Orford, Tasmania
17 November 2023 | Bichenot, Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
13 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania,Australia
12 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
11 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
07 November 2023 | Sydney, Australia
07 November 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
31 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
25 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
18 October 2023 | Noumea, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
11 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Kuto Baie, Ille des Pines, NC.

The End of the Thorny Path (for now)

08 March 2019 | Sint Maarten, Leeward Islands
Graham Walker
Yesterday we were up with the frigate birds, and at first light headed out through the narrow cut in the reef to start the final leg of our trip over to Sint Maarten – a journey of about 80 miles to the south east, with no workable alternative routing. Humph. A weather window they said; 12-15 kts they said; from the northeast they said! Well, it started with us having to punch head on into 15-20 kts with lumpy seas. In the afternoon it did ease a bit and move into the north a very, very little bit so we did have some more comfortable conditions to bring us in; but overall it was a slow, boring and uncomfortable 17 hours, and it was nearly midnight by the time we dropped anchor in Simpson Bay. But hey ho: we are in and we had lots of good reading time on the journey over.

This morning we slipped into the Cole Bay lagoon and dropped the hook, aiming for a no-work day; but we did sneak a trip into Island Water World and Budget Marine, the two big chandleries in town, to start our shopping. We also managed a visit to our favourite patisserie (yum). Back in the world of European coffee!

So: reflections on the ‘Thorny Path’ down from the Bahamas. Good to have done it, but would not choose to do it again. We ‘worked’ the weather windows and were reasonably lucky to be able to sail a fair bit of it in good conditions. Loved getting to know the Bahamas better; probably one of our favourite areas that we have ever sailed in. Really pleased to get to spend more time in Puerto Rico and would happily go back there again. Would give the Turks and Caicos a miss in future unless we really needed to re-fuel. Sorry we did not get to Cuba or to Samana on the DR; we will hold those for another trip, perhaps without a boat. Saw two very different sides to the BVI – busy bays and quiet bays – and would plan another visit around the quiet ones. Had some of our best actual sailing in the BVI, with flat seas and glorious surroundings.

Our arrival in St Maarten reinforces the fact that we have just changed gear on our sailing area. European voices on the radio, a very international fleet of boats around us, the aforementioned coffee, and, best of all, no more thrashing to windward.

We are also starting to get back to the world of the superyacht, so here are two photos of boats we saw this morning. Firstly, our old favourite “Le Grand Bleu” which has featured in previous issues of Barracuda’s Blog; clearly she has just been killing time here, waiting for our return. She is 374 feet long and can be seen sporting a 73 sailing yacht on her port side deck. An interesting story; worth a Google. Secondly, the very futuristic “Sailing Yacht A” - 468 feet long. Also worth a Google for those into yachtie porn.
Comments
Vessel Name: Barracuda of Islay
Vessel Make/Model: OVNI 395
Crew: Graham and Kate
About: Learning as we go
Extra: One day at a time
Barracuda of Islay's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
19 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2024
Some shots from our tour of Northland, North Island New Zealand - Dec 22.
37 Photos
Created 4 December 2022
41 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Starting in the Chesapeake, down the ICW to the Bahamas and onto Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
24 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Barracuda's trip from Scotland to Europe, the Canaries, and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean followed by a trip up to the Bahamas and on to the USA East coast.
26 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
81 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
60 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
a pre-retirement holiday
19 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
some shots from our lovely trip around the Aegean with Ailie
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
2 great weeks with Steve and Bibi Rainey.
11 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
A long weekend with Catherine and David.
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda, K & G head south to a new home.
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda does the Western Isles of Scotland.
12 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Kate and Graham Chillin'
7 Photos
Created 18 July 2014

Previous | List | Random | Next