Barracuda's Blog

The adventures of Kate and Graham and their OVNI 395

23 November 2023 | Bonny Scotland.
19 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania
18 November 2023 | Orford, Tasmania
17 November 2023 | Bichenot, Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
13 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania,Australia
12 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
11 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
07 November 2023 | Sydney, Australia
07 November 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
31 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
25 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
18 October 2023 | Noumea, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
11 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Kuto Baie, Ille des Pines, NC.

Water, water everywhere, and lots and lots to drink

01 April 2019 | White House Bay, St Kitt’s
Graham Walker
Our last morning was quite a social time. We started with a look over a Garcia Exploration 45 – thanks, Dave and Karen. (G thinks he has found his dream boat!)

Then we had an invitation to go on board Distant Shores III. The owners are the Shards, who have a sailing TV/Youtube show called ‘Distant Shores’. Look them up; they have recently built a new Southerly 480 and were happy to show people around her – lovely folks and a lovely boat.

So, full of new-boat lust, we checked out of St Maarten yesterday and went to anchor outside the lagoon in the open sea anchorage. This is clean sea water, so we could finally take a dive over the side and see what the bottom of the boat looked like. We could feel when driving out the lagoon that she had a lot of drag, and she was trailing a beard. The bottom was absolutely foul – never seen so much growth in a few weeks. G spent two hours snorkelling with a paint scraper and scrubbing brush getting it all off, and came back up looking up like the creature from the black lagoon, covered in slime and crawling with small sea beasties. It was worth it: Barracuda’s bottom and prop are much cleaner now, and much faster with it.

We left this morning at dawn after a rolly night, and headed for St Kitt’s & Nevis. This was our first test sail after our refit, so there were lots of things to check off. Repaired and slightly remodelled sails up – check. Steering and autopilot working (post component replacement and service) – check. New navigation plotters working – check. All new and old electronic equipment fully interfaced – check. New Fusion stereo fully functioning (that one is really important!) – check. Side band radio (SSB) working - check (we had a conversation with someone in Grenada). New solar panels generating power – check. And finally – new water maker working – CHECK!! Yes, the day has finally arrived when we have our warranty replacement water maker up and running – it only took about a year. It’s lovely tasting water, and we can make about 30 litres/hour which is ample.

So, in summary, we leave St Maarten having achieved everything we went in to do, with great thanks to Andy at MEI and the folks at St Maarten Sails, FKG Rigging and Electec.

We enjoyed a cracking sail down to St Eustatia and then pressed on to St Kitt’s, with good wind and good boat speed, passing St Bart’s and (reluctantly) Saba on the way. All the islands here are volcanic - lush mountain peaks - it really feels like we are moving back into the eastern Caribbean. Today’s picture shows the extinct volcano and crater on St Eustatia.

Then the question arose as to what to do in Kitt’s. We don’t want to ‘stop’ here, which involves clearing customs, immigration, harbour control and all sorts, so anchored just before sunset and will be off with the gulls at daybreak. However, the officials are said to fine people for this common practice of ‘yellow flagging’ (ie, anchoring off and staying aboard overnight). We will report back.

59 nautical miles today – 320 nautical miles to Grenada
Comments
Vessel Name: Barracuda of Islay
Vessel Make/Model: OVNI 395
Crew: Graham and Kate
About: Learning as we go
Extra: One day at a time
Barracuda of Islay's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
19 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2024
Some shots from our tour of Northland, North Island New Zealand - Dec 22.
37 Photos
Created 4 December 2022
41 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Starting in the Chesapeake, down the ICW to the Bahamas and onto Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
24 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Barracuda's trip from Scotland to Europe, the Canaries, and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean followed by a trip up to the Bahamas and on to the USA East coast.
26 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
81 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
60 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
a pre-retirement holiday
19 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
some shots from our lovely trip around the Aegean with Ailie
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
2 great weeks with Steve and Bibi Rainey.
11 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
A long weekend with Catherine and David.
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda, K & G head south to a new home.
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda does the Western Isles of Scotland.
12 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Kate and Graham Chillin'
7 Photos
Created 18 July 2014

Previous | List | Random | Next