Barracuda's Blog

The adventures of Kate and Graham and their OVNI 395

23 November 2023 | Bonny Scotland.
19 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania
18 November 2023 | Orford, Tasmania
17 November 2023 | Bichenot, Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
13 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania,Australia
12 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
11 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
07 November 2023 | Sydney, Australia
07 November 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
31 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
25 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
18 October 2023 | Noumea, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
11 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Kuto Baie, Ille des Pines, NC.

Putting the new plan together

06 September 2020 | Papeete Marina, Tahiti, French Polynesia
Graham Walker
We have lived with our decision to stay in FP for about a week and it just gets more comfortable. We find more reasons to stay here and fewer to go. So we are still very happy with that decision. As we start to implement the plan to stay we are realising that we really do need to start this now. It will take a couple of months to get through our list, by which time we will be heading into the cyclone season and need to be able to sail east.

Here are some of the ‘big ticket’ items we need to get done.

Replace the standing rigging (the wires that hold up the mast): This is generally regarded as having a working life of 10-12 years, and ours is now over 10 years old. We know directly six boats that have had failed rigging this year – many with rigging age well below those numbers. There are lots of variables. Metal boats tend to get longer life because there is less flex and associated stress from the hull. However, ocean sailing results in lots of stress cycles, due to the constant rolling from side to side. Simply sitting at anchor and rocking in the swell for days on end can be hard on a rig too. There are good riggers here in Tahiti and the costs seem comparable with New Zealand. We have now been surveyed, and will place an order today and should have new rigging by the end of September.

New sails: We still have our original sails – also over 10 years old. We have looked after them well, but the time has come. Our Genoa is a bit stretched and losing performance. The frequency of patching and re-stitching on the main is increasing. Our new sails will, we hope, come from France from a company who make a lot of sails for OVNIs so they know our pattern. Hopefully this gives us a fighting chance of them fitting first time. It takes about three to four weeks to make them; shipping them here will be another story. One decision left – horizontal cut Dacron or Tri-Radial Hydranet? Mmm…

New spray hood: This is the cover at the front of the cockpit that forms part of our shelter. It is made of canvas and clear plastic for the windows. The canvas gets really destroyed by the sun and looses its waterproof-ness. The plastic windows become opaque. You can keep it going with wax treatments for a while. The photo shows the rain coming through the hood and the plotter under an umbrella before we relaxed it. (Who says you can't use an umbrella on a boat.) The stitching is constantly destroyed by UV, and Kate is regularly re-stitching it. A new one will come from the original manufacturer in France – again, they have the exact pattern so hopefully it will fit first time.

Autopilot ram: This may be a tale of woes. This week we removed the hydraulic ram for servicing. It had a small hydraulic leak and we wanted to change the seals, having all the parts needed in hand. Not major, but better to fix it now before it gets worse. However, we discovered that the last company who worked on it (FKG in St Maarten – who are approved agents for L&S autopilots) had rebuilt it incorrectly, so that it cannot now be dismantled for service (as confirmed with the approved L&S agents in Tahiti): and FKG have washed their hands of the issue. The outcome may be a whole new autopilot hydraulic ram – we are trying to talk to the manufacturers in France to see what we can do. We would not use FKG in St Maarten again if we had a choice. They are not cheap and they left us with another problem like this that we only discovered after sailing away. The longer we sail, the more we realise that we are better off doing things ourselves if we possibly can.

Renewing the top rudder bearing: the steering gets worked pretty hard on these trips, and the rudder bearings get worn. We can replace this one whilst still in the water (famous last words) once the bearing reaches us: another item coming from France.

As you can tell, logistics is going to be key. What can possibly go wrong?

As we work through these and a myriad of other smaller items we are also sorting out extended travel insurance and the post-Brexit temporary residency process. The challenge with all this is finding time, as we seem to have a pretty hectic social life in Papeete Marina.
Comments
Vessel Name: Barracuda of Islay
Vessel Make/Model: OVNI 395
Crew: Graham and Kate
About: Learning as we go
Extra: One day at a time
Barracuda of Islay's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
19 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2024
Some shots from our tour of Northland, North Island New Zealand - Dec 22.
37 Photos
Created 4 December 2022
41 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Starting in the Chesapeake, down the ICW to the Bahamas and onto Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
24 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Barracuda's trip from Scotland to Europe, the Canaries, and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean followed by a trip up to the Bahamas and on to the USA East coast.
26 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
81 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
60 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
a pre-retirement holiday
19 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
some shots from our lovely trip around the Aegean with Ailie
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
2 great weeks with Steve and Bibi Rainey.
11 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
A long weekend with Catherine and David.
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda, K & G head south to a new home.
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda does the Western Isles of Scotland.
12 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Kate and Graham Chillin'
7 Photos
Created 18 July 2014

Previous | List | Random | Next