Barracuda's Blog

The adventures of Kate and Graham and their OVNI 395

23 November 2023 | Bonny Scotland.
19 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania
18 November 2023 | Orford, Tasmania
17 November 2023 | Bichenot, Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
13 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania,Australia
12 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
11 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
07 November 2023 | Sydney, Australia
07 November 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
31 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
25 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
18 October 2023 | Noumea, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
11 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Kuto Baie, Ille des Pines, NC.

Sustainable living

27 December 2020 | Airport Anchorage, Tahiti, French Polynesia
Graham Walker
Over the last couple of months you will have followed our progress on installing additional solar capacity. Here is a summary and update on how this has all gone.

When we first bought Barracuda she had a wind turbine but no solar, although the boat had been supplied with the mountings for this. One of the first things we did was add some solar panels on the back arch. These had a nominal capacity of 120w. They were the standard glass panels and are quite heavy for their output. Ten years on their efficiency will have decreased. When we did our electronics refit back in St Martin we added another 110w of solar capacity on top of the sprayhood, in the form of two lightweight flexible panels. We keep the sprayhood up all the time, so this was a good location for us. This made a difference but we were still not sustainable, and would have to run the engine every couple of days to top up the batteries.

We wanted to add more solar capacity to be completely sustainable for normal living, but wanted to do it in a way that fitted with the lines of the boat. We have seen some installations that just don't look right, or wouldn't meet our needs. We also wanted to use lightweight semi flexible panels rather than heavy glass panels to avoid adding a significant amount of weight up high and at the stern of the boat (which is the last place you want it). We needed to have the time to design the supports, as the existing ones would be too small, and then find someone to do the welding. And of course we needed to do the electrical installation. A lot to think about.

When we realised that we were going to be in Papeete for a while K suggested to G that we try to do this project. Then started the search for the right lightweight panels (340 watts); some people buy these in cheaply from China, but we were quite concerned about quality issues, as well as suitability for marine use and current logistics issues. We ended up buying SunPower panels from Sunpowered Yachts in the USA. Next step was shipping them to Tahiti on a boat. In the meantime, we found Jean-Philippe, a local welder, who built the new larger frame. We bought the Victron controllers locally. G completed all the electrical modifications, checking in with Alex, the local marine electrics expert. Next was installing the panels on the frame (with a sheet of polycarbonate backing for extra rigidity) and finally fitting the frame to the boat and plugging it in. As for the old panels, we gave them away to a young sailing couple starting out on their solar journey.

As a wee extra boost, we also have 160 watts of semi flexible panels that we can lay on the deck when at anchor. We bought these brand new panels for a bargain price from a Frenchman who wanted bigger ones.

Because of the way we have done this with semiflexible panels the entire system probably does not weight more than 10kg including the frame - in fact probably less than the original small glass panels that we got rid of.

So how did they perform? As I sit and write this, we have 610 watts of solar panels online and the performance of the new system is excellent. When sitting at anchor - as long as we have a bit of sunshine - we are now full recharged by midday, and sometimes a lot earlier. That includes when we make water, which would have been impossible in the old system. The real test will be when we are sailing as our power demands are a bit higher then, especially if using the autopilot, but we also have the benefit of the wind turbine then so that probably balances out.

We are now thinking up more things to do with excess electric power on board. We have a 375 watt inverter which powers the TV, charges laptops and power tools etc but won't run the electric kettle. Any suggestions for more uses, folks?
Comments
Vessel Name: Barracuda of Islay
Vessel Make/Model: OVNI 395
Crew: Graham and Kate
About: Learning as we go
Extra: One day at a time
Barracuda of Islay's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
19 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2024
Some shots from our tour of Northland, North Island New Zealand - Dec 22.
37 Photos
Created 4 December 2022
41 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Starting in the Chesapeake, down the ICW to the Bahamas and onto Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
24 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Barracuda's trip from Scotland to Europe, the Canaries, and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean followed by a trip up to the Bahamas and on to the USA East coast.
26 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
81 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
60 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
a pre-retirement holiday
19 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
some shots from our lovely trip around the Aegean with Ailie
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
2 great weeks with Steve and Bibi Rainey.
11 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
A long weekend with Catherine and David.
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda, K & G head south to a new home.
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda does the Western Isles of Scotland.
12 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Kate and Graham Chillin'
7 Photos
Created 18 July 2014

Previous | List | Random | Next