Barracuda's Blog

The adventures of Kate and Graham and their OVNI 395

23 November 2023 | Bonny Scotland.
19 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania
18 November 2023 | Orford, Tasmania
17 November 2023 | Bichenot, Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
13 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania,Australia
12 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
11 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
07 November 2023 | Sydney, Australia
07 November 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
31 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
25 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
18 October 2023 | Noumea, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
11 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Kuto Baie, Ille des Pines, NC.

Water, Water Everywhere

23 January 2021 | Papeete Marina, Tahiti, French Polynesia
Graham Walker
Can’t remember if we said, but the very last job we were trying to do before getting away from Tahiti was fixing the water-maker. In fact, it was a fairly essential job to allow us to get away, as there is precious little fresh water available in the Tuamotus.

The problem was a small crack in a thermoplastic block in the heart of the unit, and the leak from this was slowly getting worse; we really did not want to head off into the boonies with the potential of a water-maker failure looming. We had been waiting on a spare part to arrive from the manufacturers, EcoSistem in Spain. That part arrived on Tuesday, so G dinghied into Taina to collect it, and we headed into Marina Papeete, to do the job with a stable platform and access to tool shops.

The manual suggests that dismantling the unit is relatively easy, so we had allocated two to three hours to do the job. Our first road-block came when we could not get the black end caps off the pump section. G tried, the boat next door tried, the local water-maker company tried – no joy. They should just unscrew so if heavy-duty wrenches won’t work, something’s not right. End of day one, and G was very despondent.

Day two dawned, and new ideas came to mind. The basic issue was that the black plastic caps screwed inside the stainless steel cylinders were stuck, and would not unscrew. But why? We checked out the expansion coefficient of steel versus thermoplastic (think jam jar lids). Plastic expands and contracts a lot more than steel per degree of temperature change. We realised that in our ambient temperature of 32 degrees C here, the plastic had expanded into the steel to lock it fast. G begged a bucket of ice at the fish market, and through the appliance of science we submerged the pump for a while. The plastic caps obligingly shrunk more than the steel tubes and hey presto! the end caps came spinning off. Thereafter the job was relatively quick - the failed component was replaced as well as a few internal seals, all were reassembled and we were quickly back in action. Starting to do your own water-maker surgery is a bit of a red line when it comes to boat maintenance, and it’s good to have crossed that one.

So that was the last job on the list. We are now planning our escape for the Tuamotus on Monday or Tuesday, when the winds are set to swing in our favour. We have applied for our inter island sailing clearance, done most of the provisioning and are just starting to do the final boat prep.
Comments
Vessel Name: Barracuda of Islay
Vessel Make/Model: OVNI 395
Crew: Graham and Kate
About: Learning as we go
Extra: One day at a time
Barracuda of Islay's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
19 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2024
Some shots from our tour of Northland, North Island New Zealand - Dec 22.
37 Photos
Created 4 December 2022
41 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Starting in the Chesapeake, down the ICW to the Bahamas and onto Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
24 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Barracuda's trip from Scotland to Europe, the Canaries, and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean followed by a trip up to the Bahamas and on to the USA East coast.
26 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
81 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
60 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
a pre-retirement holiday
19 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
some shots from our lovely trip around the Aegean with Ailie
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
2 great weeks with Steve and Bibi Rainey.
11 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
A long weekend with Catherine and David.
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda, K & G head south to a new home.
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda does the Western Isles of Scotland.
12 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Kate and Graham Chillin'
7 Photos
Created 18 July 2014

Previous | List | Random | Next