The Adventures of the Briclin II

07 June 2013 | Ptown
04 June 2013 | Nantucket Island
24 April 2013 | St John
23 December 2011 | ST Croix
13 December 2011 | St Croix
10 October 2011 | Stowe VT
22 September 2011 | Ocean City MD
18 September 2011 | Ptown
02 July 2011 | Truro
01 July 2011 | Ptown
26 June 2011 | Ptown
26 June 2011 | Ptown
23 June 2011 | Ptown
20 June 2011 | Ptown
14 June 2011 | Ptown
13 June 2011 | Ptown
11 June 2011 | Provincetown MA
10 June 2011 | Ocean

St Croix Christmas Boat Parade and Fireworks

13 December 2011 | St Croix
Bret Sunny
Well it has been awhile since we posted on the blog. So here is our update since the last post.

I arrived in St Croix on Nov 21st and since then Rick and I have been working during the day and touring and exploring the island on nights and weekends. It is a very cool island. Most people skip St Croix as it is not as busy as St Thomas or as close as either St John or St Thomas to the BVI’s. But I have to say it is one of the best islands that we have visited.

The people are warm and friendly and always greet you with a good morning, afternoon or evening. We are learning it is a very small community and everyone knows everyone else’s business on the island. But there is also a strong sense of community and people watch out for each other here.

So all in all we are having a great time. Last Saturday was the Christmas Lighted Boat Parade in Christensted Harbor, where we are moored. IT was really cool, 23 boats all decked out in Christmas decorations cruised around the harbor. Then for the finally they had fireworks that ended up right off of our boat. The wind was just blowing to the right of our boat so none of the smoke or ash was blowing towards our boat and we had front row seats to the show!! IT was awesome. I have attachéd a link to youtube for your viewing pleasure.

Well one other note, when we bought the boat we were told that boats are a lot of up keep and maintenance. Boy they sure were not lying. Over the course of the last year we have had several things break, die, quit, leak and now last night burn. We were sleeping when Ricks apnea machine stopped working. So he got up to figure out why and smelled smoke. Our inverted had overloaded and started smoking with a few small flames. So we had to shut it down. The good thing is, as we learned today, everything still works as long as the generator is working! Which means we can charge all the computers, phones and electronic stuff and Rick will be able to sleep still. The bad news is we have to run the generator a lot more until the new inverter is installed (which thankfully was still under warranty). Now we just need to find someone to install it. So new boat owners beware! Boats are a continual learning and maintenance adventure.

That is all for now… This weekend Lindsay arrives for her Christmas break. We are very excited! WE are going to do a Jeep tour of the island with her and then head to St John next week where we will spend Christmas.
Comments
Vessel Name: Briclin II
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 500
Hailing Port: Road Town
Crew: Bret, Rick, Baby and Blackie
About: Learning as we sail Captain Rick, crew Bret, Baby (cat) and Blackie (dog).
Extra: Rick is a sailor about the journey I (Bret) am a sailor about the destination.

Briclin II

Who: Bret, Rick, Baby and Blackie
Port: Road Town
Site Meter