Beam Reaching Adventurers

Croatia Flotilla, Sept. 2012

26 January 2012 | Central Coast, Croatia
21 June 2011
06 March 2011 | Canada
30 January 2011
30 January 2011
29 January 2011
29 January 2011
29 January 2011 | Split Airport
29 January 2011

Navigation Details

30 January 2011
Charts and Datums
The Croatian Hydrographic Institute http://www.hhi.hr/en has a range of charts available from its authorised resellers, located in the main towns. These charts are updated by monthly notices to mariners, which can be downloaded from the site.

HHI Chart 101 provides extensive information on the Coast Guard service as well as details on marinas, harbourmaster's offices and embassies, notes on buoyage systems, collision avoidance rules, etc.

The area is also covered by the British Admiralty standard nautical charts and the Admiralty (UKHO) has recently published a Leisure Folio for Southern Croatia containing 21 charts that are printed in a practical A2-sized format. Go to http://www.ukho.gov.uk for more information.

Note: All the Croatian and Admiralty charts are drawn to the Hermannshogel datum, which differs slightly from WGS 84, used in GPS systems.

Buoyage System
Croatia uses IALA Buoyage System A (in Canada we use System B). That means red right returning does not apply here.

Tides and Currents
Tides and currents are generally so small as to be insignificant. Sea levels are more susceptible to weather (air pressure) than tides. Currents average 0.5 knots. For tidal predictions (unofficial) in Croatia go to Admiralty EasyTide

Coast Guard Services
Coast Guard services are provided by individual harbourmasters under the overall co-ordination of the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre based in Rijeka (MRCC - Rijeka). In an emergency call 9155, from fixed lines or Croatian mobile phones. If dialing from abroad, dial 00 385 51 9155. Alternatively use VHF Channel 16. Croatia is part of GMDSS (VHF-DSC Channel 70).

Weather Reports
Weather reports are broadcast by the harbourmaster's offices in Croatian and English three times per day. For Split Radio, these reports are at 0545, 1245 and 1945 UTC on VHF Channel 67. Sibenik - VHF Channel 73.

Berthing and Lazilines
Berthing will most likely be on lazilines, bow or stern-to, whether in a marina, a harbour or on pontoons provided by restaurants. Normally someone will be waiting for you, ready to raise a line out of the water to make pick-up easier. As you approach the berth someone needs to be ready with a boat hook to pick up the line attached to the shore at one end and running to a concrete block resting on the bottom several meters out from the dock. Once you have picked up the line, walk to the bow and pull it in until the thick rope at the end, attached to the block, is taut, and make fast to the bow. There will be two cleats on the dock that you will use to secure both sides of the stern. Tip: don't cross these lines.
Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Various
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/beamreaching

Port: Vancouver