Mr Bean at Sea

18 September 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
20 February 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
16 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
13 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
07 February 2007 | Koh Mok
03 February 2007 | Phi Phi Don
27 January 2007 | Phuket
13 January 2007 | Phuket and surrounding islands.
09 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
03 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
26 December 2006 | Phuket and the Islands
10 December 2006 | Phuket
01 December 2006 | Thailand
22 November 2006 | Panang
16 November 2006 | Port Dickson
30 October 2006 | Singapore
30 October 2006 | Singapore
18 October 2006 | Bangka Island..01.32'N 105. 50.97'E
09 October 2006 | Borneo..03 20.03'S:114 33.01'E

Phuket, including the Kings Cup

01 December 2006 | Thailand
Above Photo..Mr Bean in Royal Phuket Marina.

This Blog does not have Photos, see Photo Gallery

Friday 1st December 2006

Said our good buys to Will and Annie, paid up at the marina, and was on passage to a group of Islands in Thailand called the Butang Group, to the Island of Koh Adang.
As we left Langkawi, the wind started to pick up, which allow us to sail, of over half of the way. We also noted that the sea became bluer, as did the skies, and of the first time in a long time, the start of the trade wind clouds.
We got to the anchorage, there was laid mooring buoys, always welcome, it was a beautiful anchorage, and a great start of out time in Thailand.

Saturday 2nd December 2006

Left the anchorage at 0630 hours, now a time change to +7 hours, GMT, of a 40 mile passage to the Koh Rok Group of Island, we are planning to pick up a mooring buoy on the south of Koh Rok Nok.
Again we where able to sail over half of the way, we got to the island by 1445 hours, and tied up to a mooring buoy.
This is the island where the French version of the TV "Survivor" series was filmed.

The wind blew a little in the night, making it nice a cool, but the sea became a bit rolly, and we touched a bomby at 3 in the morning, so pulled right up on the mooring, and it was then alright.

Sunday 3rd December 2006

Left the anchorage at 0630 hours, and are heading of our final destination of this long trip, Phuket. We are heading for Ao Chalong, where we can check in to Thailand. We were in contact with Silver Fern, and they called on VHF, and said they where going straight around to Kata Beach, the Kings Cup base camp, then take a cab over to Ao Chalong tomorrow.
We thought that this was a great idea, and changed course, and arrived at 1730 hours, we could not get the anchor to hold well enough, so we moved to a different spot, and all was then good.
There was a fun race today, to start the Kings Cup, and there was a BBQ dinner at the Kata Beach Resort, we were too tired to go to it.
The night was a little rolly, but there was some breeze.

Monday 4th December 2006

We went into Ao Chalong by taxi, with Martha and Karen, costing 300 bart,(�4.20) for a 15 minute ride, that took till noon, then went for and India meal. We then all took a Toktok to Phuket town, taking about 35 minutes, that cost 20 bart, (28p each).
We got some money, then needed to go to get new sine cards for the 2 phones, we called a personal toktok, a 6 seater, and asked the price for a 10 minute ride, and the driver quoted 150 bart, (�2.14), I told him that was over priced, and said he would do it for 20 bart, if he could take us to to a gem shop on the way, where he would get rewarded, we agreed.
After spending minutes in the shop, we came back out, and were on our way to Big C, I then asked the driver if he would wait of us, then take us to Kata Beach. He said he would do the lot for 50 bart, but would have to go to 2 more gem type shops, which we did not want to do.
We settled, that we would have the whole journey for 200 bart, (�2.90) a 70 minute journey but no stops on the way back.
We got to like this guy, and asked us him what he would charge for a full day 0900 to 1800 hours, taking us around the island, this is when the kids are here, and he said 400 bart, and will pick up Tara and the Boys for 200 bart, (�2.90) there and back with waiting time. It's a fun way to travel, very airy once one gets on the open road, and speed has built up. It will take six with out any problem, perhaps a towel to put over the plastic seats.

That evening, we went to the Katathani Phuket Beach Resort, for the prize winning of the first proper race of the event, with lots of food and drink available.
Calypso JJ, took first place in their class, this is the boat I shall be racing on, later in the week.

Tuesday 5th December 2006

Went ashore after, watching all the racing yacht go out till the start, it a great sight. We took Bromwin and the children, I looked after Jack and Amy, whilst the girls went off on a mission to find team shirts for the Kings Cup.
We met up at the Fisherman's restaurant, on the north side of the beach. We heard Calypso JJ had won their diversion again, and also that I will be in the team from tomorrow.
That evening we went to the Boathouse of the prize giving and do.

Wednesday 6th December 2006

Up and away and on Calypso JJ by 0730 hours, our race started at 0900 hours, the start had about 150 boats all waiting for their starts, each division had a 5 minute gap. 5 minutes before your start, motors had to be turned off 5 minute before your start time..
At 0853 hours, our boat had lodged it's first protest, for a Oyster in our diversion using a bowthruster to avoid another yacht.
10 minutes later, another protest was lodged from us to another boat in our division, this time for not giving us enough space, and causing us to collide with them, this was at slow speed, and enough hands where available to fend off
The race continued, and the next protest an hour later, it came from us to the guys with the bow thruster, this time two of there crew were in the water with lines, trying to pull the boat along.
The whole race was in very light, or no air, a sometimes with a lot of tide against, which meant that we went backwards for a lot of the time.
Many boats gave up, if fact only 25 of the 150 finished the course, we stayed the course, and got 3rd place before handicaps, but the two boats in front where the two we had protests in on.
We have since heard that one boat, Millennium, that we protested over the port and starboard issue, was upheld, so they where disqualified, but still do not know are final position because of handicaps.
Lindy and I had an evening on the yacht, and also there is an tropical depression coming close to here, so wanted to be around, just in case these got nasty.
Later with heard that the bow thruster protest and the swimmers pulling the boat protest was thrown out. This still put us to 1st position, which puts JJ in a very strong position, of a total win, we only need a placing tomorrow to win the whole series apparently.

Thursday 7th December 2006

The night went without problems, in fact we had a lovely cooling breeze, we woke up to blue skies and winds of 15 knots from the NE, so hopefully the beast has run its self out.
The wind started to blown up to 20 knots, a few of the racing boats dragged, I got one in the dingy, that came by us, Lindy called for help, another dingy came, then another, and we got Rainbow Dream, back in shallow water, and anchored her. These racing guys know nothing about anchoring, this boat had less than 10 metres of line out, we put out all his line , after un-knotting it all.
We then spent the rest of the morning watching a 90 foot, stink boat drag through the fleet, with people on board, but they must have been the cleaners, because they did absolutely nothing.
Lunch time we went to beach, and had lunch at the Boathouse, and very luxurious Restaurant overlooking the beach and the bay.

Afterwards we started to go for a walk along the road, but it was hot, humid, busy with traffic, no pavements, so we aborted, and went back to the boat. Put the air conditioning on, and relaxed.

Friday 8th December 2006

On board JJ by 0715 hours, Lindy has joined us, and she is thrilled to be aboard, it was a long 35 mile race, which started off well with 15 knots of breeze, and we where first over the start line.
After 3 hours the wind started to drop, and from then on it was a hard slog. We managed to stay the course and get a fourth place, which because of the way the marking is calculated, we have now won the overall section of the Ocean Rovers Division.
In the evening we took the free bus to The Royal Phuket Marina, which looked very up market, and Lindy and I enjoyed ourselves immensely, great entertainment, we where able to sit down at a lovely table, have wine in proper glasses.
Others that came later, were not so impressed, the food had all gone, and David off Calabar, they are in the marina, say it is very dead, but we shall make our own minds up.

Saturday 9th December 2006

Lindy and I where on JJ, by 0730 hours, for our final race, even though it wasn't necessary, everyone came including all the children, it was a great start and finish, but again the wind dropped in between.
We were first through the start line again, and the finish was awesome, there where five boats trying to round the last dan buoy, in zero air, we came in from 100 metres with great wind, and went straight around the buoy in front of most, losing wind, but using our momentum it was a crazy finish. We took second place.
The evening was brilliant, and the live band top noch.

Vessel Name: Mr Bean
Vessel Make/Model: Bruce Roberts
Hailing Port: Eastbourne, UK
Crew: Malcolm Robertson
About: Admiral Lindy Robertson
Extra: Yacht Mr BeanIs presently on the hard stand at Rebak Marina, Langkawi. while we spend the summer back in the UK. Left UK, from Eastbourne Marina on June 15th 1998, and have nearly sailed around the world, mostly just the two of us.

Who: Malcolm Robertson
Port: Eastbourne, UK