Mr Bean at Sea

18 September 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
20 February 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
16 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
13 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
07 February 2007 | Koh Mok
03 February 2007 | Phi Phi Don
27 January 2007 | Phuket
13 January 2007 | Phuket and surrounding islands.
09 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
03 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
26 December 2006 | Phuket and the Islands
10 December 2006 | Phuket
01 December 2006 | Thailand
22 November 2006 | Panang
16 November 2006 | Port Dickson
30 October 2006 | Singapore
30 October 2006 | Singapore
18 October 2006 | Bangka Island..01.32'N 105. 50.97'E
09 October 2006 | Borneo..03 20.03'S:114 33.01'E

Saraya Bay to Manta Bay Bay, Gili Laua Darat

26 August 2006 | Saraya Bay, Flores
Malc
Volcano off Labuhan Bajo 08.30.05S 119.52.74E

No Photos in Blog, See Photo Gallery.

Saturday 26th August 2006

Had breakfast, went for a swim off the boat, then circumnavigated Seraya, 08.24.47S 119.52.32E in the dingy, it was much bigger than we thought, and around the other side was a small fishing village of about 20 houses, and one house built on a raft, and 8, 15 foot fishing boats anchored off.
Further round, there was a back packers resort, all very nice, then back to the boat and a rest. I repaired the back up alternator regulator, changing the duff on/off switch.
Went ashore at 1330 hours, and had a wok a cue, that's stir fry over the open fire, the four girls each did something to stir fry, then we shared it all, it was brilliant, better than a barbecue, as not so much meat eaten.
The boys had a game of bolle, I won, but it does belong to me, the girls went for a walk up the hills behind the beach, and was back on the boat by 1700 hours, before the tide got too low,

Sunday 27th August 2006

Left anchorage at 0845 hours, for a short trip to Labuhanbajo, 5 miles away, arrived there after a little trouble going through the narrows, due to shallow water, and very inaccurate charts.
We went into the town to buy beer and soft drink, it was very hot, so got back to the boat as quick as we could.
That evening, all 12 of us, that's Aquarius. Gambori, Ascension , Been A Long and us, went for a meal in a local hotel, which was a little better than some we have been in lately. As the town is close to the tourist attraction, Rinca and Komodo Islands where the Dragons are, there are a lot of back packers here, hence the catering is a little better.
The hotel restaurant has a lovely view over looking the bay a across the bay, was an erupting volcano, which looked spectacular in the evenings fading light.
This area with all it's numerous islands has a charm of it's own, and are very much looking forward to spending some time exploring them.

Monday 28th August 2006

We had planned to go this morning after Lindy had been to the market for some fresh fruit and veg. She got back about 1000 hours and getting set to go, I was getting the dingy up, it just got near the top when the wielding failed on one side of the hinge. This caused the dingy to drop down one side, luckily it landed on the life raft, the bit that broke, slide down the transom, gouging the lovely paint work.
Gary was passing, and came aboard to give a hand, we had to support the weight of the dingy and 15 hp outboard using another block and tackle, then lower it to the water, which was successful.
Luckily the failing stainless part could be taken off, which we did, I took it ashore and had the wielded for a very good price of 5000 rupee, �3.50.
Got back to boat, fitted it back on, and all was fixed before lunch time, although it was not a nice thing to happen, it was very fortunate in happen where it could be fixed, and there isn't many places in Indonesia that it could have been.
The scratch was deal with, which did not go though to the metal, by using a blue felt tip pen, which has made it look a lot better, till a proper fill and paint job can be done.
Decided not to leave to day, so put 21 litres of diesel into main tank, from one jerry can, then took it over to get it re-filled.
Later that afternoon, La Baca, came in to the anchorage, they came over with their two lovely children, and we had a pleasant two hours on Mr Bean, with Gary, Libby and Rob also joining us.
That evening, as a group of now 16, we all went ashore to a water front delightful caf�, and had a lovely time, enhanced by Jack and Aime.

Tuesday 29th August 2006

Left Bajo at 0700 hours, heading for Sebajar Besar 08 30.3 South 119.43.7 East , 11 miles away, had to motor all the way. Got there at 1000 hours, and took us a while to find a decent spot to anchor, but eventually found a spot in 22 metres, dropping back into 11 metres.
In the afternoon, we went ashore to have a barbecue, and Trevor from Been A Long have us a few songs with his guitar, then Jack and Daffee gave us a song.
We got back to the boats by sunset, as the tide was going out. Photo's on next page....

Wednesday 30th August 2006

Planned to leave at 0700 hours, but nature had other plans, the anchor chain had got well and truly caught around some coral, and after 30 minutes of motoring around it etc, there was no chose but to dive down with the pony diving tank.
I was a little apprehensive about diving down the 22 metres, as I haven't dived since getting GBS. All went well, I went down the chain, a had to stop at about 10 metres, as my ears were hurting, after equalizing, the pain went, and got down to the snag, It was very easy to release, check some more of the chain before coming up. Had to stop on the way up, to equalize, probably not
enough.
Continued to get the anchor up, which all went well, and left by 0800 hours to motor South to Rinca, Crocodile Bay, 12 miles away. We had 3 knots of favourable tide with us, for the first part of the journey, and Been A Long who left when we planned, where getting 4 knots against, getting there an hour later, the tide had slackened, and we only got half a knot against.
We arrived at 1100 hours, we where a little disappointed that there where no beachs, but it was very sheltered, so a very peaceful night.
To do the tour, to see the Dragons, amounted to �28 per couple, for a 2 mile walk, we saw the Dragons on the way to see the warden, so decided we would not do the walk, and told the warden we would go back the yachts, and leave tomorrow.
He wasn't happy, but agreed to the plan.
That evening we went on Been A Long, for a sun downer. Photo below of a 10 foot and 8 foot Dragon.

Thursday 31st August 2006

Left Crocodile bay at 0930 hours to get the favourable tide, and got to what we call Manta Ray Bay , Gili Laura Darat, 08.27.6S 119.33.83E by 1400 hours, after looking at a few alternative anchorage's on the way, because the swell was coming from the NE, but in the end, went to were we had planned to go.
After getting the anchor down and set, we had some lunch, then did some swimming around the area, We had a Mexican night on the beach, getting over there at 1630 hours. It was a great success, due mainly to La Barca, afterwards Adam built up the fire, which gave us a lighted beach, which allowed us to stay longer, leaving at 2130 hours




Vessel Name: Mr Bean
Vessel Make/Model: Bruce Roberts
Hailing Port: Eastbourne, UK
Crew: Malcolm Robertson
About: Admiral Lindy Robertson
Extra: Yacht Mr BeanIs presently on the hard stand at Rebak Marina, Langkawi. while we spend the summer back in the UK. Left UK, from Eastbourne Marina on June 15th 1998, and have nearly sailed around the world, mostly just the two of us.

Who: Malcolm Robertson
Port: Eastbourne, UK