Mr Bean at Sea

18 September 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
20 February 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
16 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
13 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
07 February 2007 | Koh Mok
03 February 2007 | Phi Phi Don
27 January 2007 | Phuket
13 January 2007 | Phuket and surrounding islands.
09 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
03 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
26 December 2006 | Phuket and the Islands
10 December 2006 | Phuket
01 December 2006 | Thailand
22 November 2006 | Panang
16 November 2006 | Port Dickson
30 October 2006 | Singapore
30 October 2006 | Singapore
18 October 2006 | Bangka Island..01.32'N 105. 50.97'E
09 October 2006 | Borneo..03 20.03'S:114 33.01'E

Port Dickson to Panang

16 November 2006 | Port Dickson
Photo above..A Rally Do, at the Port Dickson Marina

Photos not shown on Blog, see Photo Gallery

13th November 2006

There were lots of Fish nets encountered along this passage, making for some big detours.
Also we encountered three vessels that were all joined together by line, with no visable warnings
The big ship was unloading scrap metal into a floating skip, along side it, then the tug boat, I guess, will bring the other empty one along side and take the full one to shore.

Tuesday 14th November 2006

Because of our early start, we where able to cut out the first designated anchorage, and proceed to the next anchorage, which is Pangkor Island, which sounds quite nice, so may spend another day there.
We got to Pangkor Island at 1830 hours, the trip all 90 odd miles, was marred by light head winds, some times quite big swell from the beam, making us take the main down, and mostly tide against us.
But we got there thanks to our trusty engine, the anchorage we choose, was by some a very up market resort, the bungalows all on stilts, over the water.
The sea, a greeny colour and full of very large jelly fish, does invite us in to swim.
Looking at the charts for making our passage to Penang, it's 81 miles away, at five knots that's 16 hours, with no where sensible to anchor in between, so we will leave tomorrow at 1700 hours, and do an overnighter, arriving at 0900 hours.

Wednesday 15th November 2006

Had a very restful morning, Been-A-Long came over to see us, we had coffee, then we went ashore with them, to check out the resort there.
The resort is very excusive, only catering for 20 guests, on reaching the reception, they showed us around, it is a spar resort, and is all geared up for massages and therapies.
After the tour, they gave us a very nice resort health drink, complete with lemon Grass stick, and it was very pleasant.
Met a guy from Manchester, there, he was on holiday there, it cost him �3000 each for a two week holiday, flying business class.
Back to the dingy, and back to Mr Bean, and spent the rest of the day relaxing.
Left the anchorage at 1700 hours, for Penang, 81 miles away, that will bring us to 05.24 North 100.20 East, we where able to sail for about three hours, while a storm went by, it was lovely to have the rain, and the cold for a while.
We encountered many fishing boats along the way, but I found by shining the big light at our own sail, they tended to move away.

Thursday 16th November 2006

We arrived at Tanjong City Marina at 0930 hours, after a very interesting sail up the channel between Panang and main-land Malaysia. We had to go under the bridge connecting the island to the main land, I found it very daunting, even though there was about 12 foot to spare.

We where allocated a berth near the ferry terminal, but whilst having lunch, we saw all the boats heaving, which looked a bit dangerous, we had been told that it could be like that, but only today we where told that the problem had been resolved, so we asked to if we could be move further away, which we did.
After settling the boat again, we took a free shuttle to Tesco's, and brought two 240 volt fans, to help keep the boat cool , when we are in marina's, also two DVD's, two pillows, and two frying pans.
Back on the boat by 1700 hours, the sky became very dark, so closed all the hatches etc, the wind started rising to 45 knots, the skies opened to give torrential rain.
The boat was being push into the jetty, and the fenders started to lift, so I had to run another line across the other jetty, and winch it, to take the boat away from the jetty, which it did.
This Marina gives no protection from the elements and the ferries, but we are well set up now. using the whole space nornally used for two boats, with lines across to the other pontoons, and keeping the boat away from the pontoon..
Friday 17th November 2006

Planned an easy day, which one has to have in this climate, but after seeing a few boats in to the Marina, doing some stuff on the computer, gave some time to the engine.
Changed the engine oil and filter, and the three diesel filters, and cleaned out the raw water filter. Lindy, by this time had come back from her shopping expedition, and said that Bob, off Plain Sailing would like me to go up their mast, to check his VHF Arial, funny really, he used to be a pilot, and he is scared to go up it.
Went over and did it, then had a couple of beers with them, and Eric and Dick, who had come over to help.
That evening went out to dinner with Dick and Pam, off Aleshia, to Little India, and had a very pleasant Indian meal.

Saturday 18th November 2006

I spent the day doing jobs around the boat, one was to get the spare diesel out from the bilge, at put it into the main tank, we will not need to have it as spare no that we will be close to civilisation, and the diesel goes off if it is over a year old, Lindy went shopping.
In the evening we had the Penang rally dinner, which was really fun.

Sunday 19th November 2006

We took a taxi, with Trev and Joan for a trip to Penang Hill, we reached there about 1030am, booked to go up the hill on the funicular railway, the first available slot was at 1pm, so we took the same taxi on to Kek Lok Si Temple.
This is one of the finest Buddhist in South East Asia, it stands majestically on a hill in Ayer Itam.

From there we went back to take the railway up to Penang Hill, it took two trains to get to the summit, 2730 feet above sea level.
Great views were seen from here, till the cloud can in and covered the land below. We had a meal and a drink, whilst up there, then came down, and are taxi man was waiting for us.
He took us to Little India, where we had a super meal, came out very full, we all agree that Roti, with a chilli drip is all our favourite, the whole meal for the four of us, with soft drinks, came to 24 ringints(�4).

Monday 20th Nov 2006

We went on a free trip around the island of Penang, organised by the tourist board to promote home-stays, as apposed to staying in a hotel. It left from the East and Orient Hotel, which is a bit like Raffles in Singapore.
The island is very nice, the people are very nice, but, could not recommend it as a holiday destination, we where treated to lots of their food at the home-stay, and the home was very comfortable. ...

Wednesday 21st November 2006

Lindys Birthday today, we had champagne on our boat, with Been a Long and La Barca, then on to the Rice and Spice restaurant.
The restaurant was very good, and we had a lot of fun, got back the marina by 1700 hours, and spent some time in the club.

Vessel Name: Mr Bean
Vessel Make/Model: Bruce Roberts
Hailing Port: Eastbourne, UK
Crew: Malcolm Robertson
About: Admiral Lindy Robertson
Extra: Yacht Mr BeanIs presently on the hard stand at Rebak Marina, Langkawi. while we spend the summer back in the UK. Left UK, from Eastbourne Marina on June 15th 1998, and have nearly sailed around the world, mostly just the two of us.

Who: Malcolm Robertson
Port: Eastbourne, UK