Mr Bean at Sea

18 September 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
20 February 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
16 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
13 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
07 February 2007 | Koh Mok
03 February 2007 | Phi Phi Don
27 January 2007 | Phuket
13 January 2007 | Phuket and surrounding islands.
09 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
03 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
26 December 2006 | Phuket and the Islands
10 December 2006 | Phuket
01 December 2006 | Thailand
22 November 2006 | Panang
16 November 2006 | Port Dickson
30 October 2006 | Singapore
30 October 2006 | Singapore
18 October 2006 | Bangka Island..01.32'N 105. 50.97'E
09 October 2006 | Borneo..03 20.03'S:114 33.01'E

Phuket, with Tara and her Boys

03 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands

Photo above, Ryan with that Chilli, see blog.

No Photo's in Blog, see Photo Gallery

Tuesday 2nd January..continued

After having a little rest, and waiting for the tide to turn, it looked like the wind would be right on the
nose, we left at 1500 hours, for our trip to Koh Hong, it took 2.5 hours, wind was right on the nose , but we did have 1 knot of tide with us.

We took a mooring buoy, then took the dingy around to check out the bay around the other side of the island, we where able to dingy through the gap, and walk inside the Hong, room in English, as the tide was still quite low.

Got back to boat, and the La Barca's came on Mr Bean, and we had a joint BBQ.

Wednesday 3rd January 2007

Left the anchorage at 1030 hours, with a ebbing helping tide, heading for Phi Phi Don, we where looking forward to a lovely downwind sail, but what wind there was, was nearly on the nose, hence,we where motoring all the way .
We had an extra crew on board, Jack from La Barca, wanted to be with the boys. As we where motoring, we decided to check out the Bamboo Island group, and go to Koh Mai Phai.

The anchorage was beautiful, and decided to stay the night, we rigged up a line off the boom and swang it over the sea, so we could swing off it. and land in the sea. Lindy and I, Ryan and Ollie did it, but we soon got fed up with it.
We went ashore for dinner, it was a lovely beach, and the eating area, looked lovely, but the food was very mediocre.
We came back to the boat, and had a night watch a DVD. Photo's follow...

Thursday 4th January 2007

Staying the night at this anchorage, was probably a mistake, as it was a bit rolly, but only up and down, not side to side, the wind started to blow10 knots from the north, with little protection, but it gave us some power into the batteries via the wind generator, if only the wind had blown like that yesterday, for our sail down.
We plan to go to Phi Phi Don today, have lunch, do some food shopping, then on to Phi Phi Le for the night.
We are looking at the Plan, for our trip back to Yacht Haven marina, some 40 miles away, and plan to leave tomorrow.
We left at 0800 hours, and had a lovely sail down to Phi Phi Don under spinnaker, we arrived there at 1015 hours, took a mooring buoy, went ashore, had lunch, and enjoyed the busy resort very much.
All went back to the boat by1600 hours, and motored the 4 miles down to Phi Phi Le, the setting for the film, the Beach, which we are going to watch tonight.

Arrived at Phi Phi Le an hour later, at 1700 hours, Lindy, Tara and the boys went ,ashore , whilst I looked at a problem with the engine, the fresh water coolant has a leak some where, and need to sort it before we leave. Note ... found leak in one of the hoses, and just needed to tighten the hose clip.
The La Barca's came on Mr Bean, for a farewell drink and meal, as we will be going our separate ways from tomorrow.

Friday 5th January 2007

I went ashore at first light, to get the feel of the Island, after watching the film, The Beach, that was set on there, and it does give the island a certain glory, that over islands are just as lovely, Photo,s follow...
We where able to pick up a mooring buoy, but it was very rolly that evening and through out the night, but the crew did not find it a big problem, the mooring was very close to the cliff, but did not become a ploblem. Photo's follow ...

We set sail at 0930 hours, after saying our good-byes to the La Barca's and thanking them for the lone of their camera, which enabled me to carry on taking photo's for the diary.
We motored back the 25 miles to Koh Rang Yai, we arrived there at 1500 hours, and went ashore for dinner, at 1700 hours.
Before we went ashore, Ryan said he would like to go up the mast so we got the safety harness out, and u he went, right to the top, with speed boats flying by, it made it very rolly, especially 60 feet above the sea. Ollie followed, but we insisted that he put on a bosons chair, and he went to the first cross trees

Tara and the boys, love this island, and we have decided to stay here another day, and leave the following day for the marina.

Whilst at dinner, the boys found a coconut on a tree, knocked it down, and the restaurant cut it open for them, and they all drank the milk, and they loved it....

photo follows......

Saturday 6th January 2007

We had a lovely day at Koh Rang Island, the boys went ashore before us all, and played on the beach. We went ashore little later, Ryan, Owen and I, went for a dingy around the island, at full speed, where we could
We took an early lunch, the norm for eating now seems to be, have breakfast, 3 lunches, followed by 2 dinners, and then a few snacks, these boys know how to eat.
After the first lunch, for sandwiches, we went have a second lunch in the restaurant, then relaxed on the beach for a while.
We then hired some bikes, and cycled around the island it was great fun, we then went back to the boat and had pancakes, cooked on the stern deck, we even flamb´┐Żed one in rum, with banana, this one was for me.

We were planning to leave the anchorage tomorrow, at 0600 hours, for Yacht Haven marina, where Tara and the boys leave us
We have heard that it is best to moor at slack water, which is at 1300 hours, and as it is only18 miles, we might as well leave at 0900 hours.
We had a lovely evening watching King Kong on DVD, O had an early night. The time with Tara and the boys is drawing to an end, it has been a perfect two weeks.
Tara and the boys, got into the boating life very easy, and it was so lovely for Lindy and I too see them all enjoy the life that we love so much, and also to let them meet some of our cruising friends, which we know they also liked.
Sunday 7th January 2007

We left Koh Rang island at 0900 hours after a boisterous night, wind was up to 20 knots, but the anchorage was fine, just halyard slapping till I winched them tight in the early morning.
There was a definite low pressure system over us, the trip up to Yacht Have marina was marred with rain, and wind to 28 knots.
On arriving at Yacht Haven marina, at 1230 hours, we where asked to anchor outside, till the wind and tide subsided, which we did for one hour, but on refection, we think the staff where at lunch!
On entering the marina, we had to follow a dingy, we had one knot of tide from left to right and 20 knots of wind behind us, I was on the helm, I had to control the boat speed by going into slow reverse, luckily the boat speed was under control, when we saw our berth.
It was along side, with a boat one side and a jetty the other, quite tight, but all the elements where in our favour, and we made the turn, and can along side, finishing the manoeuvre with a bust of reverse, that kicked the stern into the pontoon. Lindy and Tara handled the bow and stern lines perfectly.
We checked in at the marina office, got the electric's on, and the air conditioning, had a look around the marina, it's a little down market, but very pleasant.
We had lunch at the Haven restaurant; it was very good, then we went back to the boat and watched a DVD, called Stepping Out.

Monday 8th January 2007

Had all had breakfast at the marina coffee shop, except foe Tara, the full works, eggs, bacon, and bits, coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice, Tara was still digging off her false finger nails, glad when she has finished, these black things could become a navigational hazard.

We hired a mini bus for the day, so at 1030 hours we stepped on board our air conditioned motor, and off we went, we decided to firstly go to the Elephant safari, we had a fantastic time, we took the 30 minute trip, which was just the right amount of time.
Ollie sat on the Elephants head, supported by the driver, and I (Granddad), took over from our driver, and took it all the way home, it was a great experience, Ryan and Ollie seem Ok with me being in control of this Hugh beast.

From there we went on to Patong, the major beach resort of Phuket, to me, it was Busy, Smelly, full of people that need guidance on holiday, not our cup of tea.
However, we did find a lovely restaurant," The Patong seafood restaurant", we had a great meal, including fresh lobster and fresh squid. Ryan had mussels as a starter, and took a big bite out of a red chilli, big mistake.
Ryan went through, but with the staffs help, bringing, iced water, lemon to suck on, and salt to lick, he got through it. photo's bebove shows the pain....

These started to get better, once the lobster came, a fine looking specimen, Ryan, had forgotten, the great RED CHILLI, and was ready to got on the next course with vengeance.
From there we spent some time looking around Patong, still not my favourite place, then at 1500 hours, we left in our taxi, and went to Tesco/Lotus super store, to buy supplies for the next two weeks, as Daz and Ben party shall be here tomorrow, .
Left Tesco, by 1700 hours, and got back to the marina by 1730 hours. We took all the supplies back to the boat, stored them, then had a BBQ onboard, Prawns, Cuttlefish, French bread, Sir fry vegetables, a great feast to finish on.

Great holiday with you all of you, hope you can come back again, next year, we love you all very much
Vessel Name: Mr Bean
Vessel Make/Model: Bruce Roberts
Hailing Port: Eastbourne, UK
Crew: Malcolm Robertson
About: Admiral Lindy Robertson
Extra: Yacht Mr BeanIs presently on the hard stand at Rebak Marina, Langkawi. while we spend the summer back in the UK. Left UK, from Eastbourne Marina on June 15th 1998, and have nearly sailed around the world, mostly just the two of us.

Who: Malcolm Robertson
Port: Eastbourne, UK