Becoming Mrs Argos

What stared out as a family sailing adventure around Australia has changed somewhat! Now its mum and the kids (now aged 17 and almost 15) working it out for themselves while cruising the Queensland coast!

24 November 2016
19 August 2016
03 August 2016
21 June 2016
25 April 2016
09 February 2016
07 December 2015
25 August 2015 | South Stradbroke Island
10 August 2015
06 July 2015
04 May 2015
24 April 2015
11 April 2015 | Southport
01 April 2015 | Southport

A whale of a day!

27 July 2011 | King George Sound
Sue Watt
Our Mooring Moments – when we stuff up everything and struggle to get our yacht docked - have well and truly turned into Mooring Magic! We are so good at it now that even Erina, who used to stress and worry that we would miss a catch or drop a line, announced that we were ‘Pro’s’ at it now!
Just as well because in addition to the usual on lookers we noticed someone videotaping our whole arrival today! We still wonder what he did that for!
Each day since we arrived at the Waterside Marina we have watched the Albany Whale Watching tour boats go out in the morning. Each day they are crowded with eager watchers hoping for the thrill of a sighting. Each person paying richly for the privilege!
We have seen so many marine animals in our sailing thus far – pods of dolphins accompanying us, seals and several whales, but only in the distance.
This morning however we were treated to an up-close and personal sighting. We were sailing out into King George Sound, fishing lines out, hoping to catch something lovely for dinner and practice our tacking and then our docking when we returned when I caught sight of something grey just ahead of us. I jumped out of my seat and moved closer to the front of the yacht for a closer view – but the whale had simultaneously moved closer to us at the same time so I was rewarded immediately with a lovely display!
The whale was less than six feet off the side of the yacht (close enough to see but not too close to be scary or dangerous). She (or he – how do you tell I wonder?) was grey, a rich deep grey, glistening as she skimmed just below the surface of the water. She dived down a little and disappeared for a few seconds, only to resurface again giving a spurt as if to say, hello, nice to see you, and then dived down further and then breached right along side us!
Our first serious whale sighting!
Actually, when we were in the Southern Ocean a few weeks ago we saw heaps of whales, but only in the distance and at that time we were more concerned with managing the weather and the waves and not so much with the sea creatures about us! But today was special – and we were delighted and thrilled by our visitor!
Later, after a lovely sail out to Breaksea Island we returned and saw the Whale Watching boat put in the vicinity of where we had had our visit, presumably the whale was entertaining all on board with her friendliness!
When we returned the wind had picked up and was blowing at about 18 to 20 knots. We thought it might be a little tricky to pick up our lines, but as soon as we took up our positions and reminded ourselves of the specific actions we would take and their order, all our practice paid off and we came in perfectly despite the increasing wind.
We sat on deck afterwards, eating our lunch in the warm sunshine of a late July day in Albany and talked about how we would feel when we had just arrived at a new port and were sitting on deck relaxing after our sail! We are looking forward to leaving, but making the most of the time we have here to work on things on the yacht and learn.
Comments
Vessel Name: Argos
Vessel Make/Model: Gaff Rig Schooner designed by Jay Benford, built by Jack Stolp
Hailing Port: Albany WA
Crew: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
About:
After starting out from Albany WA in July 2011, we have faced some big seas, tricky situations and serious storms. We have learned to sail and learned to love the life of the cruising sailor. [...]
Extra:
In the years since we started Erina and Liam have become fine sailors. Liam is a keen knot man and has created a plethora of decorative rope finishes on board, as well as being skillful at any knot-work required on deck. Erina is the the master of the galley and cooks up the most incredible meals [...]
Home Page: www.becomingmrsargos.weebly.com
Social:

Becoming Mrs Argos

Who: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
Port: Albany WA