Becoming Mrs Argos

What stared out as a family sailing adventure around Australia has changed somewhat! Now its mum and the kids (now aged 17 and almost 15) working it out for themselves while cruising the Queensland coast!

24 November 2016
19 August 2016
03 August 2016
21 June 2016
25 April 2016
09 February 2016
07 December 2015
25 August 2015 | South Stradbroke Island
10 August 2015
06 July 2015
04 May 2015
24 April 2015
11 April 2015 | Southport
01 April 2015 | Southport

We're Off!

18 October 2011 | Two people's Bay Western Australia
Sue Watt
When we first arrived in Albany it was simply the town where our yacht was moored. Nothing more and nothing less. As new arrivals we saw a pretty harbour town with lots of beautiful old buildings, some history no doubt and enough café’s to keep me happy!
It wasn’t long though before we were able to do a bit of local sight-seeing and began to explore the place, in between sailing days and maintenance tasks.
We began to grasp the huge significance of Albany to Australia’s history.
We were amazed.
You see Albany was where the fleet of vessels left our shores to head towards Gallipoli. Albany was the last part of Australia the newly formed ANZAC corps saw before heading into what was to become Australian military’s most significant moment.
Soldiers had gathered here for weeks, the ships anchored throughout the inner harbour and King George Sound. Regularly soldiers were transported to shore to march, stretch and exercise. Locals said of this time that it appeared the harbour was filled with ships, all preparing to go – loading fresh produce, water and supplies along with the men. There were nurses too – any number of them – preparing to go on the accompanying support ships. There was even an early submarine.
They were leaving from Albany, collecting a couple more ships filled with more brave and courageous men as they neared Freemantle, and then it was full steam ahead until they reached their destination. They didn’t know they were headed for Turkey. At first they thought they were going to assist in the war effort in Europe – it was close to the time of leaving before their new destination was announced. They didn’t know as they left the shores of Princess Royal Harbour what a huge and significant role they were about to play – or how few would ever return.
Albany is also where the first ever ANZAC day ceremony was held – the harbinger of the event it has become today, marking and memorialising the heroic and generous gift of life these men and women gave – and acknowledging their contribution to our growing nation and identity. People gathered and honoured their courage. Those they left behind came and mourned their loss. It was taken up as a national event and remains as we all know it so well – a deeply significant day in the life of our nation.
And it is from these same shores that we set sail this morning. Ready for whatever will come. Not leaving to fight an impossible war. Not leaving to defend our nation or our way of life. But leaving BECAUSE we revel in the freedom those courageous men and women gave to us – we leave in the sure knowledge that we would not be embarking upon this venture had they not had the courage to embark on theirs.
It is with a sense of their courage and bravery that we leave – no, not to the same extent, but we like to feel that we are leaving with the same sense of adventure – with the same spirit of ‘having a go’ that propelled the ANZACS into the unknown. For us this is really the first day. The first moment of leaving the security of the safe harbour Albany has been. And even though we have ventured out and completed our sea trials, practiced and learned – today marks the first day of our actual leaving.
Comments
Vessel Name: Argos
Vessel Make/Model: Gaff Rig Schooner designed by Jay Benford, built by Jack Stolp
Hailing Port: Albany WA
Crew: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
About:
After starting out from Albany WA in July 2011, we have faced some big seas, tricky situations and serious storms. We have learned to sail and learned to love the life of the cruising sailor. [...]
Extra:
In the years since we started Erina and Liam have become fine sailors. Liam is a keen knot man and has created a plethora of decorative rope finishes on board, as well as being skillful at any knot-work required on deck. Erina is the the master of the galley and cooks up the most incredible meals [...]
Home Page: www.becomingmrsargos.weebly.com
Social:

Becoming Mrs Argos

Who: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
Port: Albany WA