Becoming Mrs Argos

What stared out as a family sailing adventure around Australia has changed somewhat! Now its mum and the kids (now aged 17 and almost 15) working it out for themselves while cruising the Queensland coast!

24 November 2016
19 August 2016
03 August 2016
21 June 2016
25 April 2016
09 February 2016
07 December 2015
25 August 2015 | South Stradbroke Island
10 August 2015
06 July 2015
04 May 2015
24 April 2015
11 April 2015 | Southport
01 April 2015 | Southport

Weather!

20 January 2012 | Gabo Island
Sue Watt
The problem with weather is that it's not an exact science - as our weather router told us, weather is a mixture of pattern and chaos.
Today our experience of weather has been fully chaotic!
We set off from Lakes Entrance with a three-day window of weather that was quite okay for us to sail around past Gabo Island and on up to Eden. We were making great time and estimates of our arrival time at Eden got closer and closer during the day and we were all feeling quite up about this part of our journey.
During the night however things changed quite significantly. The winds swung around to the north, impeding out progress substantially and causing us to lose all the ground we had gained during the day. With a great deal of effort we were able to continue to move forwards, albeit slowly but by five or six am we could see that our plans to sail all the way to Eden were never going to be achieved with this wind. We decided to head in to the anchorage at Gabo Island and wait there until the head winds eased off. Sixteen tacks in twenty seven nautical miles later and we tied up!
This reminds me of how essential it is to be able to respond with flexibility to what is happening when you are sailing - to have plans and back-up plans and sometimes, to be able to think outside the square if the situation requires you to.
Every cloud has a silver lining the song says, but you know it is often quite true!
We came to Gabo because it was the only viable option but gosh it is lovely here!
The first thing we discovered after tying up is that there is a MASSIVE fairy penguin colony and as soon as we stepped on to land to explore we saw and heard babies in burrows! After all our watching and waiting at Emu Bay here we find ourselves literally surrounded by them! Needless to say we can't wait for dusk!
In addition we have found a wealth of blackberries, unsprayed for our eager mouths and tummies - which we will enjoy with some left over strawberries and cream for dessert.
While here we will of course be keeping a close eye on the weather information, looking for a day with suitable wind for us to complete what we started out to do!

Comments
Vessel Name: Argos
Vessel Make/Model: Gaff Rig Schooner designed by Jay Benford, built by Jack Stolp
Hailing Port: Albany WA
Crew: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
About:
After starting out from Albany WA in July 2011, we have faced some big seas, tricky situations and serious storms. We have learned to sail and learned to love the life of the cruising sailor. [...]
Extra:
In the years since we started Erina and Liam have become fine sailors. Liam is a keen knot man and has created a plethora of decorative rope finishes on board, as well as being skillful at any knot-work required on deck. Erina is the the master of the galley and cooks up the most incredible meals [...]
Home Page: www.becomingmrsargos.weebly.com
Social:

Becoming Mrs Argos

Who: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
Port: Albany WA